What's new

Portland Razor Co. 6/8 Leviathan Arrived!

I have been extremely excited about this razor from the get-go, as I am a huge fan of horn scales. Well after a bit of waiting here she is! Blonde horn translucent scales with a dark contrasting wedge of horn as well. This is the new blade design as well, which is fantastic. Definately shave ready out of the box and the craftsmanship is top-notch all the way around. Here is one pic...if you guys want a few more let me know...and what angles you would like to see!
$IMG_1931.jpg

That is an extremely nice looking razor. I like the new design, and the horn scales are top notch.

Would you mind taking a picture from the toe, showing the 1/4 hollow grind?

Thanks, very nice looking razor. Let us know how it shaves.

I'm looking forward to my Kraken, which will hopefully be here in a few weeks.

The "wedge" separating the scales on this one looks like it just a spacer-this could lead to issues-you can actually see the scales bowing in already on the head on shot.

Is it an optical illusion or is the back side scale thicker?

hubba, hubba!!! :drool: what a great looking razor!

I think when I thin out my DE line up....I will order a Hydra with maple scales.

The "wedge" separating the scales on this one looks like it just a spacer-this could lead to issues-you can actually see the scales bowing in already on the head on shot.

Is it an optical illusion or is the back side scale thicker?
both scales are the same thickness. The scales are not bowing, they are shaped to be wider on the pivot than at the wedge, which as I stated is a piece of horn. Everything on this is uniform as far as thickness, spacing and the like. I don't see any issues here....with over a dozen razors of some fashion of horn I have seen the scales move and change just based on environmental changes.

both scales are the same thickness. The scales are not bowing, they are shaped to be wider on the pivot than at the wedge, which as I stated is a piece of horn. Everything on this is uniform as far as thickness, spacing and the like. I don't see any issues here....with over a dozen razors of some fashion of horn I have seen the scales move and change just based on environmental changes.
So they are thicker at the pivot and taper to the wedge? Interesting, never seen that before.

How long did you have to wait? I've been reading around and it seems like they are behind the 8 week quote I got when I purchased.

Thanks for the pictures Ted. I look forward to seeing this in person at the Denver meet.
I will make a note to bring this one with me (as well as a few others I am sure). I am hoping to get a bit of mentoring on my honing while there...it is getting better but in the bevel setting dept. I need the most work.

I just checked my mail and saw that I missed the mailman today, but I can pick up my Kraken at the Post Office tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing it, it was 10 weeks for me. However, now that they are in their new space and hiring extra help I am sure the wait times will decrease.

I will make a note to bring this one with me (as well as a few others I am sure). I am hoping to get a bit of mentoring on my honing while there...it is getting better but in the bevel setting dept. I need the most work.
The meet is mainly honing.

What makes the meets good IMO, is everyone bringing things that others haven't had a chance to see like customs, new designs, rare razors, and stones that most people don't have. People learning honing generally bring the stones they have and are mentored on those. This makes the most sense since those are the stones they will have to work with when they get home.

Top Bottom