What's new

Gillette silver blues

Oh man.... since I added the Astra SS blades to my stash I figured I wasn't going to buy more blades. I have enough to last around 20 years as I am a thrifty shaver...

Oh man.... just reading about these blades sparks my curiosity. I only read good things about them. .....

I may have to give into the BAD again, I feel like getting some of these, they appear to be VERY FINE blades indeed.

Oh man......

Thanks for putting up with my moaning......

Last edited:
I didn't shave for almost a week, but tonight I tackled the mug with my Fatboy and a GBS on its third shave. TFS Bergamotto Neroli soap. Three full passes and lots of touch-up. The blade was a wonder: smooth, sharp, responsive. Loved it.

I tested various blades for 7-8 months, and I came up with three far better than the rest: Feather, Astra SP. and Gillette SB. As I go forward, I think I might just have to declare the GSBs the winner.

Great blades! When I find a deal, I buy some from time to time. I like them as much as my beloved Astra SP's, and often keep one of each ready in my daily razor rotation.

I HATE GSBs!!! Ever since I stuck one in my 34c I haven't had to search for another blade, blame my soap or technique. No more irritation, nicks or cuts. Now what am I supposed to do with all the time I used to spend hunting for the perfect shave? Workout? Take the Wife Shopping? ...ugh..I hate you GSB.

Just out of curiousity, how many shaves do you guys normally get from each GSB? In comparison to other blades you've used, does it seem to give you equal longevity or less?

I'm asking because I tried a GSB yesterday for the first time, and the shave was extremely smooth, comfortable, and close. Today I used it for the second time, and it was not nearly as smooth or comfortable as yesterday. It may have been me, but this is the same issue I tyipcally have with Feather blades in that I only get 1 or 2 uses with them before it's time to trash them. I didn't have any tugging or pulling, but did get some irritation on my neck which for me is usually indicative of time to ditch the blade.

I've been mainly using Astra SP because they are fairly sharp, inexpensive, and still get me about 4 or 5 shaves per blade. I really want to like the GSB based on my shave yesterday, but not if I can only get 1 or 2 uses out of them. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experiences with them?

Curious. The GSB is one of the few blades that I don't mind using for longer. Lots of other blades I toss after 3. And I tend to be picky. Lots of blades change feel and can still get me a great shave after 3 or 4 uses, but I have to adjust the way I shave. And for me, that means the blade has failed. If the blade doesn't shave the way it did in the first two shaves, I dump it. The GSB is one of the most reliable and steady, sometimes after 5 or 6 shaves but I'd never keep it more than a week.

Curious. The GSB is one of the few blades that I don't mind using for longer. Lots of other blades I toss after 3. And I tend to be picky. Lots of blades change feel and can still get me a great shave after 3 or 4 uses, but I have to adjust the way I shave. And for me, that means the blade has failed. If the blade doesn't shave the way it did in the first two shaves, I dump it. The GSB is one of the most reliable and steady, sometimes after 5 or 6 shaves but I'd never keep it more than a week.

Thanks, I think I'm going to chalk it up to a bad day and blame myself. I'll give the same blade another shot tomorrow and see how it does.

3-4 for me. Sometimes when you get a great shave you get over confident and slack on technique or prep and have a bad follow up shave. At least I do..lol. Stay focused grasshopper

I shaved with the same blade today, third use, and it was pretty much the same as yesterday. Just ok. The shave is still pretty close, it just took a little more effort, but not nearly as smooth/comfortable as the first shave on this blade. I think I'm going to have to put the rest of my GSB to the side and revisit again in a couple of weeks.

Don't sweat it. Maybe GSBs aren't your thing. Or don't match your style or the razor you use. There are lots of different blades (the greatest advantage of DE vs SE in my opinion) and there will always be some that seem to be better than others. Or else your shaving style will change and you'll enjoy them later on.

No matter what, just enjoy.

They're in my Top 4 , Great Blades , and Comfortable , too . I'm at 17 shaves and 18 will be tonight , still ticking . This was my first GSB , so I always go until the Blade tugs , then I toss it . Checking how long it performs well .

I retired a GSB Friday after 16 shaves. I could have gotten more. Yesterday I used one for the 7th time.Still great shaves.

Old thread relived! GSBs are great. Up there in top 3 with Astras SPs and gillette 7OC yellows for me. A hair lower (to me) falls feathers and polsilver SIs.

Top Bottom