What's new

About those Semogue painted handles.

The 1438 ticks all my boxes; boar, knot size, loft, looks, and price. What concerns me is the expected longevity of that painted handle. I really like the shape and look of the 1438, but I'm concerned that the paint may be too fragile for use as a daily driver.

I'm not particularly hard on my gear and the brush would be used for face lathering only so I don't anticipate banging the handle off any mugs, but what about the water exposure? I don't rotate my brushes very much. I'll use a brush for months on end before something triggers me to switch things up only to go back to my favorite in a day or two.

Can any wooden handle (painted or otherwise) stand up to *daily* water exposure without looking ugly?

Anybody got a daily driver painted wooden handle brush they wanna brag about?

Thanks in advance,

-Kesto

I have never purchased a painted Semogue precisely for that reason. Over the years I have read posts about the paint chipping or peeling on the Semogue painted handles. The unpainted SOC handle has been quite durable, in my experience. However, I have never used it as a daily driver. I have owned a number of custom wood brushes by well known artisans. Regardless of how well they are finished and sealed, and how well I take care of them, they're still wood and will show the effects of being wet on a regular basis.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about especially if you are face lathering. I have a 1305 that I have used as a daily with zero problems. I will say that I have never dropped it but I have bounced it off the edge of my soap bowl while loading up. I also never could tell any difference after soaking it, so I only really did that a few times(unlike my badgers).

I can say that I have used a SOC badger as a daily driver for much longer and that handle is awesome. Semogue is such a great brand and if that's the brush that you want, just get it.

Have a look at the 620 instead if you are worried about the painted handle, it is very similar to the 1438. I wouldn't be too concerned though if you are not rough on your equipment.

I do have to echo everyone else on the SOC boar brush, it is a fantastic performer and is a pleasure to use. I use mine a lot and the cherry handle looks new. I bought the ash handle too in case the cherry started to show age, but the my ash handle has never been used because the cherry SOC looks almost new.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Have had several of their painted boars .. only the first 1305 had an issue, from being dropped a couple feet to a tile floor. Always keep the soaking water low on the knot and should be ok..

I'm assuming if there's a problem they wouldn't be selling them for too long, but I figured I'd seek out the voice of the masses for verification.

That settles it, I'm buying the 1438. :thumbup:

Thanks guys
-Kesto

Most of the Semogue knots are also offered in the non-painted handles, which are what I opt for. I am sure be painted ones would be fine, but I feel safer with he unpainted versions. For either, as long as we keep them dry, I wouldn't anticipate any problems

my 1305 was a daily driver for over a year till I got myself a silvertip Whipped dog. I've dropped it on the tile floor.chipped the paint. I would soak it in hot water.lazy about cleaning out the knot everyday.overall I beat the hell out of it and its still a lather machine. my favorite brush
$IMG_20150422_093638.jpg

The Semogue 1305 was my first brush. It is in my rotation, and I now have 5 brushes, so it will be used at least twice a week now, more at first.

DO not have any issues with the paint. I use a scuttle at first then face lather. These are excellent brushes, only downside being the longer break-in time.

I'd be more concerned about the brushes that look like they have a decal on them. My SOC boar looks like new but I take great pains to not soak the handle and dry it as soon as I'm finished lathering.

I've been using a semogue Italian Barber LE brush every day for several months and it still looks like new. I think it is important to not let the water reach the handle when soaking, and to obviously not drop the handle.

My Italian Barber LE brush is used in rotation, which for me means once every other week.
Unlike what I believe a majority of B&B users do, I let my brushes soak by submerging them in hot water in the sink, wooden handled brushes included.
Neither my SOC cherry or my IB LE show any ill effects so far. SOC is at least two years old and the LE is probably close to a year old, so maybe 50 and 25 uses on them? Not a tremendous number, but I'll continue with my methods.

My 1460 has a huge chip out of the paint but works just fine. The 1250 (plain wood)has held up well

Last edited:
Mine wasted no time whatsoever in chipping and peeling and generally looking like hell, despite my taking good care of it.

I have a 1405 and all the blue paint is gone and just a little of the white is left.

It was my 3rd brush ever (1st boar) and I felt like I took pretty good care of it but it still started chipping.

Personally, I don't see the problem unless you're applying lather to your face with the handle end and the chipped surface is scratching your skin! A pristine unmarked brush is like a book that has obviously never been read. It's there to use and evidence that it is in fact being used is a +1 in my view.

Top Bottom