What's new

Vintage Williams Menthol Puck Pass (The reviews)

Fellow Wet Shavers,

I recently acquired a vintage box of Williams Menthol Shaving Soap in a box of other vintage pucks. This, in itself, is no big deal. However this particular puck is extraordinary. You see, normally, any vintage soap puck is completely devoid of any original scent. And menthol being prone to evaporation is completely gone from any puck that has not been sealed. Williams cardboard boxes offer little protection. I’ve owned 5 pucks of Williams Menthol and none of them have had any scent or menthol properties left to them. That’s where this puck differed. Amazingly this puck’s menthol survived! It is from the 2000-2002 era, and is the last timeframe that menthol pucks were made.

Realizing that probably no one else had ever, or possibly will ever, find a menthol puck with scent and menthol still intact, I just could not keep this to myself. I wanted to share this with the other WISE Men. Those gents who share my love of all things Williams (both modern and vintage). So I offered up a puck pass in the WISE thread.

This thread was created to post our reviews of this puck to share with the rest of B&B, who may not tune into the WISE thread on a regular basis. The puck is enroute to its first user (after me, of course).

My initial review is below:

Upon opening the box, I got a surprising sharp mint smell, I thought it smelled like Altoids at first. The more I smelled it, it reminded me of the smell of those wax lips/wax fangs that I used to get as a kid around Halloween. I could definitely feel the menthol on my face, not as strong as modern menthol soaps, which are typically made to face freezing levels. It was a very mild, and gentle cooling, very nice. I have no idea how this compares to a menthol puck in its prime, but I have to assume it would have been much stronger.

My full review is below in the following video. I shot this to document my first use of the puck.

The puck is now enroute to cpacamper, so expect his review soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that is some thick Williams lather. You are the Master.
It's a vintage puck, it's simple to lather. Vintage Williams is seriously, one of the best soaps ever made.

That said, I also do not have any problem getting the same thick lather from modern Williams, it just takes a bit more work.

Congrat's on your amazing find of a mentholated Williams with scent remaining!
My only experience was perhaps a 1970's puck that was essentially flat in terms of menthol.
Otherwise it was nice.

$vintage williams menthol.jpg

SOTD:

Hot shower
Williams Menthol Mug Soap, passaround version
Semogue 2013 LE BC Mistura
Pre-war fat handled Gillette Tech
Feather
Razorock Baby Blue

Upon first sniff, I'm reminded of Ben-Gay and Necco Wafers, pleasantly powdery, sweet, with a definite camphor scent. I had high hopes that detectible menthol remained.

I plopped the puck in a mug, proceeded to swirl for 15-20 seconds, and the brush was loaded with plentiful wonderfullness. Face lathered with ease (the BC Mistura could make good lather with cement I think) and had more than enough for two passes plus a head shave, no cuts, no nicks, no weepers. Lather performance was typically excellent vintage Williams, easily one of the finest soaps around.

Unfortunately, I detected no menthol on the face passes and the head pass. The scent was subtle and quite nice throughout the shave, and inspired me to reach for RR Baby Blue as a nice compliment. The scent is NOTHING like modern Williams' soapy lemon verbena vibe, which I quite like.

I hope, as I use the puck tomorrow and Saturday, that some menthol action will bleed through.

Interesting to note, this version performs exactly like my Williams puck from circa 1960's, pre-ingredient list days. As TheVez2 mentioned previously, this puck is probably only circa 15 years old, so it was made just prior to Combe's Williams acquisition in the early 2000's.

PS KJ, please free up some pm inbox space

Last edited:
Nice write up. I did notice the amount of menthol cooling had dropped from my first use to the 2nd and 3rd use. But it was still slightly detectable. After you shave off the lather, but before you rinse your face or do anything else, fan your face with your hand. You should notice a little cooling from the menthol evaporating.

Nice write up. I did notice the amount of menthol cooling had dropped from my first use to the 2nd and 3rd use. But it was still slightly detectable. After you shave off the lather, but before you rinse your face or do anything else, fan your face with your hand. You should notice a little cooling from the menthol evaporating.

I did. Unfortunately, I noted nothing more cooling than what's caused by evaporation.

Had another fantastic shave with the Vintage Williams Menthol this morning. I tried loading a bit more soap than usual and using less warm water in hopes of coaxing some cooling from the puck, but still no luck.

Nonetheless, this soap is excellent. It is so easy to lather, it washes off clean, and leaves my skin soft and smooth.

Bummer, that the cooling is not there. Maybe what little was there was all at the surface? At least there's still some scent to it.

I just had a final shave with the Menthol Williams. Still no menthol, but fantastic results with my VieLong mixed horse badger brush, Gillette Tech, and Gillette Silver Blue blade.

Monday, the puck begins a cross continent trip to Roderick.

THANK YOU KJ for the opportunity to try this soap. While the menthol is gone, the scent is great and I am happy to have tried the soap. I recommend that every shave soap lover try a puck of vintage Williams. You will be wowed!

So just to be clear... The menthol scent is still there, correct?
You just don't notice any menthol cooling.

That is what David told me. I just want to enjoy the aroma of a Vintage Williams menthol puck. The lather is great and if it has some scent that would be fabulous.

For anyone who is watching, there is one more participant in the pass. So after Roderick has had his fun, the puck will go to SpaceCadet1.

Top Bottom