What's new

Weber Charcoal Barbecue

View attachment 571996View attachment 571997

I had never used a Weber before, I have had a variety of cheap BBQs in the past, always charcoal though. Back in Sept 2013 we were in France at the house and the local Bricomarche had baby Webers on sale at EUR99, so I thought it rude not to get one.

This is the proud owner having successfully put the thing together and later that day cooking some lamb chops...

One thing I have discovered though is the charcoal in France is pretty rubbish. The first bag I bought was 50% powder.
That is so cool, we have those here and are called "smokey joe" but they do not have the long legs, more of a table top thing

Here's the snake method that I used on the Weber.

First picture shows the coal (not briquettes) that are placed around the weber with a small quantity of coals that are lit on the right. In the middle I have an aluminum pan filled with water only. I placed my wood chunks on top around the BBQ.

Second picture shows how it looks like before I closed the lid. To the piece of meat is placed over the pan. I normally have enough water for the whole session. I place my vents opposite to the burning coal. I turn the lid every 30-60 mins a bit to follow the snake.

I've been using this method for a few sessions now without any issues. It works really well. I'm wondering if I should not turn the pan the other way (horizontal instead of vertical or make it go from left to right instead of a side to the middle of the Weber). Maybe lighting half the BBQ instead of going in a circle is a better method? To be continued.

Can you cook the meat long enough with the pan and water to make your Weber a smoker?

Can you cook the meat long enough with the pan and water to make your Weber a smoker?

Yes, You can easily get 6-8 hours out of a weber kettle at 225° or so using the Minion snake method. I have a couple of posts describing the setup and results. It works really well for ribs. Tougher for a brisket, unless it's a smaller one that can be finished in less than 8 hours. (Although I suppose you could re-build the snake and continue it around again -- going over where you started it in the first place.)

The Minion Snake Method explained
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...king-Related?p=7404987&highlight=#post7404987

A few Racks of ribs done with The snake method on a weber
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...B-amp-B-2015?p=7404681&highlight=#post7404681

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I believe that my weber will be put aside early as yesterday, my chimney broke. it was windy, and a someone at my place move stuff on the balcony, didn't see the chimney and squashed it against the wall. It was 2 years old. Now that everything is away at the store, I have to probably source another one on ebay...

I used my Grillmate a few times this summer. The grillmate is a bit bigger than the Weber which helps when I have more stuff to cook. However, the weber seems more energy efficient. I also got the baskets for the coal made by Weber. Those things are fantastic to dump unused coal back in the chimney when I start it again. I found out that cooking 2 steaks probably need half a chimney only and 1 basket. I add a lump of wood in there and cook them indirect most of the time.

I use mine for grilling, outdoor baking, and as a smoker.

In a perfect world, charcoal would be ready in less than a minute.

But then we wouldn't have that 10-15 minutes of sitting around, drinking a beer.

There are techniques that you can research to get an acceptable control of temperature. It's not a perfect science though.

Luc

Staff member
So, we are supposed to be around 5C or 10C this week-end (41F-50F). Time to get the weber out. I have some New York cut steaks ready to open the season. I also have 3 pork shoulders in the freezer. I should have enough for a few days...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So, we are supposed to be around 5C or 10C this week-end (41F-50F). Time to get the weber out. I have some New York cut steaks ready to open the season. I also have 3 pork shoulders in the freezer. I should have enough for a few days...

Heoowww Doggies!!!

...git up ther, git up.

Wow! I have had a 22" Weber for about 4 years now....I had been lured away by the ease of gas, but when we moved to the Houston area I didn't have as much room and just decided to go back to the Weber I remember my dad cooking paella's on. I couldn't be happier.

Using a chimney starter had briquets ready in 20 min or so....and the meat is just awesome. Up till now I've used it mostly as a direct heat cooker....burgers, dogs....awesome steaks...and sometimes as a combo direct/indirect with coals off to the side for chicken.

But man! Reading this thread has opened up a whole new world of kettle cooking...I see a Smokenator in my future and I will also be trying the snake method this week! I actually watched about an hour of Weber YouTube videos last night..it was awesome.

By the way...my son in law is from South Africa and he loves when I cook on the Weber....and we love how he'll say..."Hey Juan, are you going to cook on the Weeeber?"

Okay...you all have inspired me to try my hand at smoking in the Weber...we were out for a late lunch and on the way home I had to stop at Lowe's for some lawn fertilizer.

I picked up twin bags of Kingsford, some hickory chunks, a beer can chicken roaster, and some citrus grill cleaner.

Tomorrow I'm going to go with the snake method, and smoke up a chicken and some bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers on the Weber! I'm so glad I found this thread!! After that I'm going to try a Boston Butt!

for each beer can chicken roaster you'll need at least 2 six pack.. it says so in the owner manual!

just realized the chicken will have to wait until Saturday....tomorrow's Friday, no meat for me...would putting some rub on the night before be a good idea or overkill??

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
just realized the chicken will have to wait until Saturday....tomorrow's Friday, no meat for me...would putting some rub on the night before be a good idea or overkill??

Not overkill at all. The skin blocks a lot of the flavors from penetrating.

so I'm smoking a chicken on the Weber today using the snake method...I ordered a wireless thermometer with food and smoker temp probes but it won't get in until later today....so I just started the snake, put the lid on and let it settle for 20 minutes and then I put the chicken on....it's been in about 40 minutes or so and I'll check on it at the one hour mark.

here's the snake ready to go...I added a couple of bricks to place a drip pan on and to help even out the temp
$IMAG1450.jpg

I added 12 bricks that I started in my chimney

$IMAG1451.jpg

now for your entertainment...I have butterflied dozens of chickens in my life but for some reason today I did something I've never done before...I did it wrong!! I actually removed the breastbone and not the backbone!! I realized what I had done after cutting up about halfway on one side of the bone....so I just decided to go with it....from now on this will be referred to as the "reverse butterfly"...who knows, maybe it will be a new trend! I hope it doesn't negatively impact the cook. I was almost too embarrassed to post this part, but I figured you all would get a kick out of it!

$IMAG1448.jpg

started with the bottom vent about halfway closed and the top about the same....

here we are one hour in...I opened the bottom vent a touch more and the top a touch as well...I'm shocked at how little fuel is used in this method.

$IMAG1452.jpg

Luc

Staff member
No pictures from the Weber but bison burgers. I smoked the patties for 20 mins with cherry wood!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458514564.398427.jpg

so I'm smoking a chicken on the Weber today using the snake method...I ordered a wireless thermometer with food and smoker temp probes but it won't get in until later today....so I just started the snake, put the lid on and let it settle for 20 minutes and then I put the chicken on....it's been in about 40 minutes or so and I'll check on it at the one hour mark.

here's the snake ready to go...I added a couple of bricks to place a drip pan on and to help even out the temp
View attachment 645989

I added 12 bricks that I started in my chimney

View attachment 645990

now for your entertainment...I have butterflied dozens of chickens in my life but for some reason today I did something I've never done before...I did it wrong!! I actually removed the breastbone and not the backbone!! I realized what I had done after cutting up about halfway on one side of the bone....so I just decided to go with it....from now on this will be referred to as the "reverse butterfly"...who knows, maybe it will be a new trend! I hope it doesn't negatively impact the cook. I was almost too embarrassed to post this part, but I figured you all would get a kick out of it!

View attachment 645991

Actually, splitting it down the breast makes it work better. The breast is the thickest part, so it separates it and helps it to cook in the amount of time needed for the other parts, without overcooking them.

Actually, splitting it down the breast makes it work better. The breast is the thickest part, so it separates it and helps it to cook in the amount of time needed for the other parts, without overcooking them.

Yeah...see....I knew that!! :w00t:

Saturday I'm using the same method to smoke a boneless Butt (3.5lbs) for pulled pork sandwiches!

Top Bottom