What's new

Has anybody tried PRO-BIOTICS? Could you tell a difference in the way you felt?

I'm always one to try the latest health trends (not for long but i'll try it). Has anybody tried any Pro-Biotics, if so what brand, and did you feel any different after using it for a while?

I recently started using Culturelle. It does seem to help with gas rumblings and bloating, although I tend to use it more as needed rather than daily.

My opinion:

simply eat good food.

Pro-biotics is the latest fad diet. First we had carbo-loading, then carbos were bad....then the meat only paleo-diet, whoops, sorry about that cholesterol! Round and round it goes.....as the money disappears from your wallet...

Perhaps pro-biotics to recover from the use of anti-biotic treatment for something, but as part of a regular diet?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Do some reading on resistant startches. Basically you mix potato startch with water and drink it once a day. The idea is that these non digestible startes can make their way into your intestines where the good bacteria live and feeds them. It's not a bad idea to take pro biotics, but without a good inviroment for them to thrive in you are not getting the full benefits.

Pro biotics are especially usefull after an illness anytime you take a round of brod spectrum anti biotics.

Last edited:
I feel pro-biotics are best when taken in as part of food, not an isolated pill. So eat yogurt, live culture sourkraut, kim-chi, kombucha, etc. Not only do you need to supply your gut with "good" bacteria, but you need to eat foods that sustain those bacteria. So throwing bacterial bombs on top of unhealthy eating won't work. Not sure how many benefits outside of general gut happiness I'd attribute to pro-biotics but certainly eating lots of veggies and pro-biotic containing foods is a good diet for many folks as opposed to refined carb, sodium laden, corn syrupy stuff.

Align. Proprietary spectra of biome designed to be as like that in a newborn. Recommended by a gastroenterologist when my dad was recovering from C Diff. I've used it prophylacticly and I can tell the difference. Add that I make home yogurt with yogormet cultures and am quite familiar with how my sensitive gut reacts to many different "inputs"; I have no higher recommendation for a product which truly makes a difference. Also note, be sure to buy fresh and if it's been hot recently, poor handling in route can kill off the live culture. Also, not cheap, but available at most pharmacies.

Last edited:
I feel pro-biotics are best when taken in as part of food, not an isolated pill. So eat yogurt, live culture sourkraut, kim-chi, kombucha, etc. Not only do you need to supply your gut with "good" bacteria, but you need to eat foods that sustain those bacteria. So throwing bacterial bombs on top of unhealthy eating won't work. Not sure how many benefits outside of general gut happiness I'd attribute to pro-biotics but certainly eating lots of veggies and pro-biotic containing foods is a good diet for many folks as opposed to refined carb, sodium laden, corn syrupy stuff.

This is the best advice. We eat too much "dead food" compared to our ancestors. All of the foods listed above (and many many more) are fermented foods, which was a way of preserving food before refrigeration. Along with that comes lots of great bacteria and yeast.

I make my own Kombucha, and feel that it does me a lot of good on top of a minimally processed plant based diet.

SWMBO takes the culturelle daily. She has Celiac Disease and she says feel a difference if she doesn't take them for a few days because we run out and forget to pick them up.

as a person who uses this stuff for medical reasons, I suggest that it is uninformed to oversimplify like this.

But in the context of the original post, which implies taking probiotics for general health, my response was not over simplifying and was tailored to the OP's question. In general, a healthy diet and some physical activity will improve health.

Right.

if needed in unusual circumstances (after ABX, for example), then it is warranted.

Just taking 25 billion streptococci thermopalae daily "just because" probably won't do much of anything for you.

Taking Align (actually the Rite Aid generic equivalent) for the past month, in combination with Fiber Con fiber supplement. It may be completely in my head but I have noticed my appetite has decreased a bit and I have lost some weight.

+1 on eating well to begin with. Fruits and veggies, easy on the red meats. A good starting point is to eat foods that are unrefined / unprocessed. So think raw rather than processed. Am still trying to convince the First Mate that ice cream is an unprocessed food - no luck yet.:a36:

Top Bottom