What's new

What popular soap disappointed you the most?

Col. Conk's was the biggest disappointment for me. The lather was rather dry for a glycerin based soap, and it had almost zero slickness.

A close second for me was Cella. Still a good soap, I was just expecting a little more. It lathers easily and moisturizes great, however I felt the blade didn't quite glide as slickly as I'd like. But I do plan on using it again in the future. Col. Conk's however? Never again.

Fast becoming a disappointment is Proraso blue line shaving cream in the tube: There has always been a small plug of dried out cream at the nozzle end forming in between shaves but in my current tube opened a few days ago that dried out plug has become larger to the extent that I'm now considering getting a lathering bowl. But if I'm going to do that I might as well change to a soap!

My problem with any brand is that once I get an objection it becomes an annoyance and then the whole brand gets dumped. I assume that I've got a bad one so I'll get a bad one again.

For me it was many peoples favourite - Stirling. I have tried 8-10 of their soaps but I always find the lather is quite unstable. I find that the scents are great but I find something in the make up of the soap mixes with the scent and makes them smell funny.

For me it is mystic waters. A lot of people like this soap but when I tried there shave stick the lather was mediocre. I tried a couple times and it's still the same.

Haslinger Schafmilch

I am an artisan kind of guy. My cabinet is filled with CRSW, Soap Commander, Strop Shoppe and Maria Arman soaps(Maggard and TTFFC). I think they are all great soaps. I would have a terrible time choosing just one. In search of shaving nirvana, I purchased a puck of the well regarded Haslinger Schafmilch. I figured if my artisan soaps were good, the shave with the Haslinger would be orgasmic. To my great surprise, the Haslinger was very ordinary. The lather was fine, but everything else about it was average. I don't know what the fuss is all about with this soap.

Who wouda thunk it?

Stirling

They smelled great while they were dry but in many cases I found that the scents were almost nonexistent once they were lathered. Without exception in each one I tried, I could detect what smelled like rendered animal fat which was a huge turn off. Sometimes the lather was great and other times it wasn't so hot and I don't attribute that to user error, it was inconsistent.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Haslinger Schafmilch

I am an artisan kind of guy. My cabinet is filled with CRSW, Soap Commander, Strop Shoppe and Maria Arman soaps(Maggard and TTFFC). I think they are all great soaps. I would have a terrible time choosing just one. In search of shaving nirvana, I purchased a puck of the well regarded Haslinger Schafmilch. I figured if my artisan soaps were good, the shave with the Haslinger would be orgasmic. To my great surprise, the Haslinger was very ordinary. The lather was fine, but everything else about it was average. I don't know what the fuss is all about with this soap.

Who wouda thunk it?

Same here! I believe a lot of soaps are "over recommended" as the hype gets going and maybe people hesitate to throw the flag.

Cheers, Steve

Stirling
It maybe many peoples favourite, but I will not be buying any more of it. I have tried six of their soaps and have found the lather is quite unstable.

I found that the scents varied greatly, some were nice, but others smell horrible (overpowering pine resin). After time some had their scent fade, and now they can be classed as unscented soaps.

After lathering, some had no noticeable scent.

The worst feature, without exception, is that all of them left a sticky residue on my skin after shaving. This was not easy to wash off.

I couldn't get anything other than airy lather from MWF, but I live in a hard water area so any newbies reading this should still give this soap a try. I guess it has legendary status for a reason!

I was also disappointed with Tiki soap, I found the soap lacking in protection and I ended up with a significant number of weepers and nicks when using this soap.

La Toja Stick and Haslinger Schafmilch. Always end up with subpar shaves from La Toja even though I like the scent very much and Haslinger is just ok to me. I thought Haslinger was going to be my holy grail but just gives me ordinary shaves.

Provence Sante

... this soap lathered easily, looked and smelled great, but as soon I put the razor to my face, it started burning and tugging and causing redness and irritation. Even the application of ASB didn't make it go away.

I gave this soap a fair try, and got the same results each time I used it over a couple of weeks. After 3 really bad shaves, I gave up on it, and never did figure out what was causing it. This is the only soap I've had to ban from my shave den.

Stirling- it lathered ok, but leaves residue that is too much trouble to rinse. Maybe clay, I do not know.
Tiki- I bought due to the hype, but the soaps were VERY inconsistent in texture brand new in the containers. I felt some were perhaps not fully cured and hardened. I (and others) also had issues receiving orders in a timely maner.IMHO Tiki was just not ready for prime time last year, but hopefully things are better now. Very nice lady.

Arko. Left my face red and sore. I know lots of folks love it. I got a great lather with it, smooth and creamy just as I like it. But it just didn't work for me.

Palmolive stick - just horrible for me. Smells like dishwashing liquid.
La Toja and Speick - both great performers but lack of scent made them boring.

Palmolive stick - just horrible for me. Smells like dishwashing liquid.
+1 I've only used Palmolive maybe three times out of the 7 years I've been wet-shaving. Despite the many loyal followers, I found it to be a real turn-off. It smells bad, and the shave wasn't that good for me, either.

Top Bottom