What's new

Best place to buy a ready to go vintage Gillette?

Hi All,

I am ready to add a vintage Gillette to the rotation. Probably a New SC or LC.

I would like to buy one that is re-plated and not used after restoration. I am a bit of a germ freak so this is my only option.

I could buy one and send it off to be redone but if anyone has a reco for ready-to-go items please let me know.

I seriously doubt that someone is going to go to the trouble of replating a razor and then sell it without using it. I would think that such a person would (a) re-plate it to keep it as a collector's piece, or (b) re-plate it to use it...but you never know.

I think your best bet is to find a vintage Gillette that you like and re-plate it yourself.

Best of luck!

Stan at ATT has a lot of vintage razors he is having replated and put up for sale on his site. I have no ideas as to models, i'm sure they are changing constantly. Good luck.

I'd buy a used one in good shape, send it to Razorplate.com for replating, and then disinfect. I clean with dish soap and water (and a soft toothbrush), and then do 2 dips in 70% isopropyl alcohol. An autoclave is another option, although this might damage the plating.

Alternately, Barbicide has been used but don't let the razor soak in the stuff for too long.

The EPA rates various disinfectants/sterilants.

Try Nick at Sport Shaving. He has many different vintage razors that have been replated. I bought a New LC from him last year and was pleased with the transaction.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Check razorplate.com website; Chris is swamped and not taking work right now. Watch his website for updates on this. In the meantime look for a LC or SC you like; Metal doesn't retain anything that can harm you. Just do a Dawn/water/toothbrush treatment and use it. I have done so many times without problems.

Hi,

There are several sellers on eBay who restore and sell replated razors. Some ask too much, of course, but it is a good place to look.

Stan

Try Nick at Sport Shaving. He has many different vintage razors that have been replated. I bought a New LC from him last year and was pleased with the transaction.

This.

http://www.sportshaving.com/razors.html

If you're an instant gratification type, Nick has a replated LC and a SC NEW ready to go.

Unfortunately, he doesn't specify WHAT the razors were re-plated with....Rhodium? Nickel? Arsenic?

I've bought some razors from him in the past....I was pleased with the results, but there was always some sloppiness involved with the transaction otherwise (like not listing what type of metal he uses for the replate, in this example). Plus, he uses First Class mail, though in his auctions he states he splits the cost with you (which would be priority @ ~$2.80 x 2). So, he doesn't really split the cost, he just chips in 40 cents and makes you wait up to 2 weeks for your premium razor.

Chris/razorplate is much more thorough in his customer service, but has a massive backlog as mentioned.

It's like when you go out of town...you're starving, and there are 2 Italian restaurants on the same block. 1 restaurant has an hour and a half wait (Chris), the other can seat you immediately (Nick). The fact one place has a line and the other doesn't is not a case of random misfortune.

The best place to find such a razor is where you find it.

The Gillette NEW is an excellent choice.

Respectfully, your concern over "germs" is laughable. Ask any college science student. Any germ once on the razor is dead by now. There are more germs on the "clean plate" at your favorite restaurant than on a razor in an antique store or wherever.

Top Bottom