What's new

You've heard it: favorite budget face latherer

Hello gentlemen, I'd like to poll you on your favorite not-insanely-expensive brush for face lathering. Boar/badger/horse/synthetic/mix doesn't really matter, I just want performance at a good price, which i'm naming as under $40 (shouldn't be a problem, right?). From all my research the brush I really want is a Duke 2 in best, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to justify $100 on a shaving brush. My current brushes are a Semogue 2000 (too darn big, frankly, but a fine bowl latherer) and a AoS pure badger which seems to shed hair faster than a German Shepherd. Emphasis is on face lathering because who wants to clean up a bowl? I'd like to be able to lather up everything: hard soaps (triple milled, etc), soft soaps (Cella, etc), and creams. Help a brother out. Thanks in advance!

Omega and Semogue for boar, Vie Long for horse, L'Occitane Plisson for synthetic and badger who knows. Not many decent badgers under $40 but plenty of boar/horse would work nicely its just a matter of what loft/diameter you prefer at that point.

I like badgers, so here is my 22mm TGN finest fan in a chinese knock off Rooney 1/2 handle and a 22mm TGN silvertip grade A in an Ever Ready 500BN completely filled with epoxy to weight it like it was a turned handle. Both were just under $50 each to make. A good finest knot can easily compete with the best out there and a TGN STA is softer than my Simpson best though may not have the same density as their higher end knots.
$brushs.jpg

My fave right now is a 30 mm Frank silvertip. About $90 or so, but for a big brush its a great performer IMO and is about 1/2 the price of my 28 mm SR silvertip. Plisson is a bargain, got one of them also. Whipped dog synths are also cheap and very nice as well.

Omega Hi-Brush, about $20. Return your AoS for a replacement, I don't know if you need a receipt. Mine (pure also) has shed very little and maybe I got lucky.

I love my Vintage Blades brand 2 band badger brush. It's firm enough to load up soaps and has a wonderful face feel. I have the medium knot and I think it's around $35 shipped

I am using the Omega 11574 for face lathering right now. I really love it. Very soft, good backbone, and a great price. Picked it up at Maggards for $9.75.

Semogue 1305. There are some great deals to be had from European vendors on Muhle synthetics. I've got a silver tip fiber en route to me. It might be just what you're looking for. Mine was just over $40 shipped. You can definitely get a black fiber for less though and they have many fans.

I have an Omega S-Brush, and while it isn't going to going to replace the Plisson or EJ in my rotation, for $10 it's a pretty good brush. Not sure how it would work for face lathering; this thing is HUGE.

--Bob

How about a Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger? I've never tried one(high mountain) but have his silver tip version and am quite happy with it for the price for performance value.

B&B Essential Boar would get my vote. It's the newest brush in my stable but it's also the brush responsible for me doing more face lathering.

-Josh

Top Bottom