What's new

Bargain Escher?

I'm guessing it went cheaper due to both being a blemished stone (big chunk missing from the bottom like that turns most people off of a stone) and being in France. Seems that a lot of the stones sell to the U.S. and international auctions don't always show up in U.S. eBay searches for some reason.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Looks good. A lot of Eschers had spots like that on the label side. Someone got a good deal

Well then, I missed out on a great deal.

There will be more

Yes, I'm not crying, I prolly woulda just made it cost more for whoever got it. LOL
And with the real nice cotis (if not great deals like that was) I got this week, I'm good.
Mainly glad to have the info that it wasn't a dealbreaker or unusual to have the "defect" on the label side. That much real estate to use compared to my little 20 x 125 (EDIT: 30 x 150, so not as small as it seems) sliver would be nice, and I couldn't care less about perfection for my uses. A known "real" thuri (label just means better chance that it's a good one, right?) of that size would be great to have. I'll start sorting cotis to see what I might can live without (combo brick Grise, anyone?) and look for deals.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
That 10" (roughly) labeled one just sold for $420 and was either LG or YG. I think that was a bigger score. If I didn't have so many thuris already I would have bid higher on it.

Also labels don't mean a thing in regards to use. Most of my thuris were never labeled and perform just as well or better than those that were. Labels just add to resale value and collectability. I think only BD stones were hand picked/selected anyway. Most back in the day were just chosen based on color and homogeneous looks as far as I know.

Last edited:
That 10" (roughly) labeled one just sold for $420 and was either LG or YG. I think that was a bigger score. If I didn't have so many thuris already I would have bid higher on it.

Also labels don't mean a thing in regards to use. Most of my thuris were never labeled and perform just as well or better than those that were. Labels just add to resale value and collectability. I think only BD stones were hand picked/selected anyway. Most back in the day were just chosen based on color and homogeneous looks as far as I know.

What I meant about the labels is that it gives me a better chance that I'm getting a "real" thuri and not just some random grey stone that some ebay reseller lists with a heading he cut and pasted from someone else's listing. (had that happen with a different kind of item, involving manufacture date, he just copied someone's listing without any idea what the numbers meant because "this one looks just like the one in that listing") Since I don't know what the "proper" sizes are, that's the best indicator I have.

You have to have an eye for the stones , not to look a list and description . For example this small stone looks awfull , and nobody whant to give 10 bucs shiped , but i have few of them , and i recognise it . I know what is it , someone else

http://auction.bg/A2256789-%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%80_%D0%B1%D1%80%D1%83%D1%81_%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%B8%D0%BB%D0%BE_2_%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%8F

Does this stone became less usable or less Green otr even maybe YG , when it doesnt categorised or labeled . Finish blades same as the labeled .Its even sweeter , because of the prise you stole it .

Last edited:
No, a label doesn't make it work any better, but because I am ignorant on what to look for it's either that or just "taking the seller's word for it." And ebay ain't this place, so that won't work.

As he said, label means nothing for performance (according to the 100 or so Thuri's I've owned at this point). It does however help reduce the chance of getting a "thuri-like" stone that probably isn't as good. And of course the label means much higher resale. That $100 escher is odd. DB's are $200ish stones usually, sometimes upwards of $300. That one's a bit rough and looks like it may have been oil-soaked at one time, and those (particularly oil) do reduce the value a lot. Still, a good deal. The 9" I agree was the better deal though. I've paid more than that for unlabeled 10" thuri's, bigger thuri's are pretty rare and definitely premium priced. I wouldn't have been surprised to see that stone break $600. Probably not enough people with big tax refunds going after it.

Top Bottom