What's new

New project

Hello all, I am wanting to take on a new project and try my hand at a brush restoration. Here is the handle I have, I am planning on cutting it down and drilling out the old knot.

Also, what would be the best method for cleaning this handle, I was thinking Goo Gone for the tape residue, but can it be brightened any?

My main question is where is the best place(s) to purchase the knot? I have badgers and boars, so I was thinking about a synthetic knot.

$20150426_084512.jpg

The Golden Nib has some great knots. They also list a synthetic series, but I have no idea how they are.

Cleaning - I use a buffing wheel with white diamond, followed with some carnuba wax on a clean wheel, to bring it back to life. Go real easy and light. A little mineral spirits or Goo-Gone will no only remove the tape residue, but a lot of the grime on the surface as well.

Last edited:
Here are some tips to mitigate any "oops" moment.

Tape off the top of the handle to help protect it from your drill or tool in case you slip. I remove the tape before gluing for several reasons, but I'm real careful.

If you polish by hand, use a plastic/metal polish like Flitz after you get the tape residue off. Just dab some on a soft cotton cloth and rub. Flitz is mild enough to be progressive in cleaning and polishing. You'll be amazed at how it will brighten.

If you have scratches or other issues, come back to the forum and you can get plenty of good tips on those as well.

Thanks guys, I've had that brush for a couple of years (came with a mug). Kinda like the handle and thought what the heck I'll try to redo it.

I'll take photos as it progresses.

$20150428_170212.jpg

Well I got the old knot out and gave the handle a good scrubbing today, blower motor in the house went out Sunday so I was tied up yesterday replacing it. I really like how it looks now, so I think I will use the dremel and do some light polishing, then finalize my knot choice and get it ordered.

I may have to find another old brush or two to restore. I will keep this post updated as I move forward.

Top Bottom