What's new

converting soaps to shave stick?

I got some empty deodorant tubes off Amazon. I melted down some Col. Conk into the stick and it seems to be easier to lather now, with much better shaving results. Has anyone managed to turn a tallow soap into a shave stick? I really prefer using shave sticks to soaps, and there are alot of cheaper tallow soaps out there than shave sticks.

Or maybe someone could just recommend a cheap lanolin shave stick to try?

You can easily turn just about any soap into stick by either grating it and stuffing it into a tube or just stuffing it in there if it is a softer soap. I do this with Cella and Mike's. Works great. No need to melt.

If you're looking for cheap shave sticks, you likely won't do better than Arko, which is tallow, if that's what you're looking for.

Mike's used to come in a stick, and I reload from bars. I grated MWF into a stick as well. There's Speick as well. A few have also sticked Cella, which is fairly soft.

for tallows, if it's not soft enough to press in, grate or thinly slice it into manageable pieces and compress it into the container. It's really easy.

You can easily turn just about any soap into stick by either grating it and stuffing it into a tube or just stuffing it in there if it is a softer soap. I do this with Cella and Mike's. Works great. No need to melt.
If you're looking for cheap shave sticks, you likely won't do better than Arko, which is tallow, if that's what you're looking for.

+1
I buy refill pucks of my favourite soap and just mash them into my shave-stick containers; works perfectly! :001_smile

I'm an Arko fan myself but will be branching into other Turkish varieties. Derby, like Arko, is made by Evyap. Some have described it as having a less polarizing fragrance than Arko. A separate Turkish company makes Blueness, which has a more perfumy fragrance. Meanwhile I get along fine with the Arko mug at home and the Arko sticks on the road.
Personally I prefer lathering in a good mug. When my Arko puck runs out I may grate down one of the sticks and shove the pieces in the mug. To each their own.

Top Bottom