What's new

Gillette flare tip

Just got my grandpa's old flare tip this Friday I yet to shave with it yet but knowing the unpainted flare tip is a 57 code c 2 looks like in pretty good condition but noticing there is some plating wearing off in some spots and the green stuff from the plating any way of removing that? Also he said he has his fatboy adjustable somewhere and some se razors laying around :)

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1430017671081.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1430017671081.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 144
Just soak it in some warm water with some dish soap in it for 30 minutes or so, and scrub it with an old toothbrush. If that doesn't take care of it, use a bit of Mother's or Flitz/Maas on it. The green is just the brass tarnishing where the plating is missing.
As for the Fatboy, if he does not use them, ask your grandfather if he wouldn't mind giving it and the other razors to you( just don't push him). Keep them, take care of them, and cherish them. In the years to come you will remember him every time you use them.
They are what are called heirlooms.

Just soak it in some warm water with some dish soap in it for 30 minutes or so, and scrub it with an old toothbrush. If that doesn't take care of it, use a bit of Mother's or Flitz/Maas on it. The green is just the brass tarnishing where the plating is missing.
As for the Fatboy, if he does not use them, ask your grandfather if he wouldn't mind giving it and the other razors to you. Keep them, take care of them, and cherish them. In the years to come You will remember him every time you use them.
Yep I thought that's what it was he cleaned it up a bit before he gave this to me thought he gave me some platinum blades with it this is my first vintage I finally got one and yes I'll cherish them and I believe he said he got it back in 58 i but unsure on it but I'll enjoy them Ive been using my vdh with ips for daily got a 38c barber pole long and new badger brush coming soon :)

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Nice razor; I have 2. A1 and B3. The safe way to clean razors without harm is a Dawn/water/toothbrush combo. Prolonged soaking if necessary is perfectly safe. The green is oxidized brass. For really stubborn soap scum in crevices a brief shot of non bleach Scrubbing Bubble helps; Use a toothbrush and rinse. Do not boil the razor; Hot water is okay.

Last edited:
Nice razor; I have 2. A1 and B3. The safe way to clean razors without harm is a Dawn/water/toothbrush combo. Porlonged soaking if necessary is perfectly safe. The green is oxidized brass. For really stubborn soap scum in crevices a brief shot of non bleach Scrubbing Bubble helps; Use a toothbrush and rinse. Do not boil the razor; Hot water is okay.
I'll have to give it another soak and figured it was oxidzed and yeah I think he said he had a b1 around but wasn't good condition like this one was thanks

Go vintage.

Every time I pick up a razor the history speaks to me. I have razors from weeks surrounding the Kennedy assassination. I have razors from my birth year. I have razors from my family's birth years. I have razors from the World Wars and when the Nazis came to power. I have a razor from when Ty Cobb retired and the Tet offensive happened. I have razors from the same year the Wright Brothers flew. I have razors from when people cared about making things to last -- and they have. It is all very humbling.

When I wake in the morning, I have something more profound to think about than just shaving. These things matter as you get older, like me.

Go vintage.

Every time I pick up a razor the history speaks to me. I have razors from weeks surrounding the Kennedy assassination. I have razors from my birth year. I have razors from my family's birth years. I have razors from the World Wars and when the Nazis came to power. I have a razor from when Ty Cobb retired and the Tet offensive happened. I have razors from the same year the Wright Brothers flew. I have razors from when people cared about making things to last -- and they have. It is all very humbling.

When I wake in the morning, I have something more profound to think about than just shaving. These things matter as you get older, like me.

Well said, thanks for sharing that.

As for the Fatboy, if he does not use them, ask your grandfather if he wouldn't mind giving it and the other razors to you( just don't push him). Keep them, take care of them, and cherish them. In the years to come you will remember him every time you use them.
Cleaned it up with some dawn and old toothbrush shines nice couldn't find Maas here but found mother's and flitz at home depot

Good deal! Guys here hit them with scrubbing bubbles and all kinds of things. Not knocking on anybody. If something works, use it. But a lot of people would be amazed how well a razor will clean up with nothing more than a bit of a soak in warm water and Dawn, and a vigorous scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Love it.

Good deal! Guys here hit them with scrubbing bubbles and all kinds of things. Not knocking on anybody. If something works, use it. But a lot of people would be amazed how well a razor will clean up with nothing more than a bit of a soak in warm water and Dawn, and a vigorous scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Love it.
Thought about scrubbing bubbles thought just kinda afraid of hurting the plating some I have wearing in few spots and also I see a little rust I believe on the blade plate wear the finish is gone. But did shave with it Sunday was good shave unlike my vdh which isn't bad I've been using got my merkur 38c coming with a new badger so I'm still gonna probably use my flare tip for daily :) the old man still haven't found his adjustable yet

Scrubbing Bubbles works, but you have to be careful not to get the one with ammonia(I think) in it. I had a bad experience with it once, and never used it again. Stripped the plating right off the base plate of an old Tech. But I think I may have gotten the wrong kind, so can't really blame it on the stuff. I just prefer caution. Also, Scrubbing Bubbles will clean it, but if the razor has moving parts, that long soak in soapy water can cure a lot of ills.

Last edited:
Scrubbing Bubbles works, but you have to be careful not to get the one with ammonia(I think) in it. I had a bad experience with it once, and never used it again. Stripped the plating right off the base plate of an old Tech. But I think I may have gotten the wrong kind, so can't really blame it on the stuff. I just prefer caution. Also, Scrubbing Bubbles will clean it, but if the razor has moving parts, that long soak in soapy water can cure a lot of ills.
Yeah may have to try it out

Top Bottom