What's new

Gillette Super Speed Red Tip? What do you think?

Hi,
Just picked up another razor a Gillette SS red tip.

I heard they are fairly aggressive and heavy?

I also like the handle surface,do not like a slippery handle!

Thinking this might be one of my favorites.

Wondering how owners here rate them?

I am now using a Merkur 38C with Crystal blades and love it!

Attachments

• $red tip gillette.jpg
    $red tip gillette.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 254
I haven't use mine in a long time, but when I did it offered a good shave. It is agreesive IMO, but manageable. Nice weight to it in comparison to a blue or black tip.

Thats a a nice looking razor, I love the handle!

Hi,
Thanks Hector. the only thing I could nit pick on it is a little missing red paint at the end of the handle!

Over all though I think a good looking razor!!!

May you have better luck then me. I got a black tip superspeed and next thing I know I have the black tip a 40's style super speed a black handled flair tip and 2 slim adjustables. To say the Gillette bug bit me would be an understatement. Looking at a red tip for my next razor :) :thumbup1:

I have 2 and they are great. I use Shark Super Chrome blades and get absolutely fantastic shaves out of them. They are gorgeous razors and feel great in the hand.

Hi,
Thanks fellas!

This DE vintage razor thing has bitten me on the butt!

Are you guys finding these razors at Goodwill and the Thrift Stores or only on the auction sites???

I have acquired my razors throughtout the years in different places, mostly auctions, when prices were low and demand was low.

I have never been lucky enough to find something worthy at a Thrift Store or State sales. I have seen some junk,but nothing worth buying.

Hi,
Thanks Hector!

I go to GW and junk shops all the time but can't remember seeing a lot of razors laying around!

Living in Central Florida it seems I should!!! With the Senior population so high!

Nice red tip I've always been wan one of those just got my grandpas old 57 silver flare tip yesterday yet to use it :)

This is just my opinion, and what do I know, but-

I think the Gillette Red Tip, matched with a Feather blade is perhaps the best DE shaving experience, straight up.

A Single Ring or Old Type matched with an Astra is a personal favorite. But if you're talking post-war Gillette Double Edge razors, the Gillette Red Tip with a Feather blade beats all comers (even a Fatboy), hands down.

But, like I said, only my opinion.

Nice one. The Red Tip is definitely one of my best shaves. Would put it up against any of my OC's with the right blade in it. Enjoy and keep looking. It is hit or miss in my area. Haven't found any at thrift stores yet and about 1 out every 5 antique stores I go to even know what a safety razor is. Online is a good source, just know your limits before you let your RAD control the bidding.:thumbup1:

Hi,
Thanks WB!

I've actually been told by PM that I did pretty good on this buy!

Some sites have rules against quoting prices paid so I won't, but lucked out I guess!

Interesting that certain things in this country are taking an up swing in price as nothing of the same quality is made HERE any more!!!

Hi,
Thanks for the info Chongo! The only thing that keeps me away from "Feather" Blades is the price and that I REALLY like the the "Crystal" Blades at 2/3 the money!!!

I will have to try them out though, as I hear so much about them! Thanks again for your review!

Hi,
Thanks for the info Chongo! The only thing that keeps me away from "Feather" Blades is the price and that I REALLY like the the "Crystal" Blades at 2/3 the money!!!

I will have to try them out though, as I hear so much about them! Thanks again for your review!
The Crystals should R O C K in that red tip. My favorite blade, and a Super Speed(any), my favorite razor!

Top Bottom