What's new

Shaver Heaven-Sweet Almond Milk-Review

Edited to Add Shave Review at the Bottom

Hello all-

Just received my tub of Shaver Heaven Sweet Almond Milk. I placed an order through Katies Bubbles, very cool little postcard with a handwritten note was inside the box with my order. Not many places do that anymore that I am aware of-I will be ordering from them again! Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions on this soap.

I am new to artisan soaps, so I have no base to compare this soap to. But soap came in a nice dark blue tub with ingridients clearly listed on the side label. 150ml of product in an over sized tub allows for easy lathering. Soap color was a light brown, which does not matter because it turns white when lathered. This is a slightly harder soap than Cella. I was still able to dent it with a finger, but not as easily as Cella.

Scent: Not to be captain obvious, but it was sweet and almondy, with a very subtle caramel scent. It smells like a cookie batter to my nose. I compared the scent to Cella, and it is slightly "sweeter" and as noted before carries a caramel scent, to me it is almost kind of spicy as well. It is definitely a stronger scent than Cella. When lathered the scent does have some staying power, and again since I have nothing else to compare it to, the scent stays unlike Cella which dissipates.

Lather: This was incredibly easy to lather. I bloomed the soap with hot tap water for about 2 mins while my brush was soaking. I used my Escali Pure Badger Brush (not the nicest of brushes I know, but it's what I have). After dumping th bloom water and letting the water drain out of the brush I went to loading. Maybe did 50 swirls on top of the soap. Once I felt it was adequately loaded I did a PALM lather (gonna shave with this tonight). It immediatly exploded into a nice thick, slick, cushiony lather. I simulated a three pass lather by rinsing my hand off inbetween passes and started over with lathering. Lather produced nice peaks each time, and was very slick. I had enough in the brush when I was finished with three latherings, that I probably could have easily another three latherings.

Scent Staying Power: Even after rinsing off, the scent is still there, even after an hour it washed off. So those of you who like a soap with scent staying power this may be for you.

I am excited to try this when I shave because I think its going to be an excellent soap. Once put the blade to my face, I'll do a shave review.

Overall First Impressions:

Slickness: 10/10
Scent: TBD on face, Palm 8/10
Cushion: 10/10
Lather: 10/10

Can't wait to try it tonight, it should be a good experience. Just thought I would give those who are a curious a little review.

Thanks.

Shave Review

Shaved tonight using this soap. So here are my thoughts on it:

Used my Mekur 34 HD, with a Feather Highstainless Blade along with a Semogue 830 boar brush. As noted above very easy to load and lather. I did a FACE lather this time, as I normally do. Again, explosion of nice thick lather as I begin to apply the soap to my face.

One thing that I did notice, is that the soap began to tingle and burn my face a little. Has this happened to anyone else that has used these soaps? It wasn't terrible, but toward the end it started to get a little uncomfortable. Maybe it is something in the soap, my TOBS Jermyn St. did the same thing when I first started using it.

I did a three pass shave, WTG, XTG, XTG. Very, very smooth and lots of protection. The real test for me is feedback from the alum block when I'm finished. I also used a Feather blade to deteremine the amount of protection, because for me Feathers can be a little harsh. Let me tell you, when I applied the alum block when I was finished, there was absolutley no burn or irritation feedback from the alum! My neck is prone to razor burn and irritation and this soap did wonders. This is probably one of the best shaves I've had yet, it was incredible.

Scent was very nice on the face. Not too strong, but it dissipate quickly either. Just right. I caught little hints of cinnamon in the soap from what I could tell. Very nice, pleasant scent. My wife really liked it too. It paired nicely with the Nivea sensitive after shave balm.

I really like this soap, but the burning has me wondering. I'm going to give it another try to see if it tames down over time. I'd definitely like to try other scents that are available.

Overall I'd rate this soap a 9.5/10. If it weren't for the slight burning sensation it would be a 10/10.

Last edited:
I have been blown away by Shaver Heaven's soaps. Having initially tried out their Oatmeal Stout, I ended up accumulating all of their soaps over the course of roughly a month. To my annoyance, the Sweet Almond, as much as I love the scent it imparts, is this soap-maker's only scent that irritates my face; but that's a vexation I attribute to the fragrance oils being used, not to the soap per se, as all other SH soaps are a TEN. I get a similar irritation when using Catie's Bubbles, LPV: intoxicating scent, alas skin irritation.

The post-feel of this soap is incomparable. This morning I lathered my face using the Honey Ale, without shaving; just wanted to feel the post-shave sensation during the course of this Sunday.

Last edited:
Taxidiotis-

That is good to know, thank you for replying. What is your favorite scent as I want to order maybe 1 or 2 more.

Taxidiotis-

That is good to know, thank you for replying. What is your favorite scent as I want to order maybe 1 or 2 more.

Having tried all of the hitherto available SH available scents, my personal favorite scent has to be the Oatmeal Stout, with the Honey Ale and Black Amber & Lavender a close second. It is not so much the scent I am after in a shaving soap, as the post-feel thereof that I pursue in earnest. The scent, of course, is an added bonus, but, as aforementioned, fragrances do from time to time get in the way of that superlative shave.

Last edited:
Having tried all of the hitherto available SH available scents, my personal favorite scent has to be the Oatmeal Stout, with the Honey Ale and Black Amber & Lavender a close second. It is not so much the scent I am after in a shaving soap, as the post-feel thereof that I pursue in earnest. The scent, of course, is an added bonus, but, as aforementioned, fragrances do from time to time get in the way of that superlative shave.

I am really keen to get my hands on the Oatmeal Stout one, so its great to hear such a positive opinion of the scent and the soaps performance itself!

Great review and I agree. On another note, I get the same burning sensation myself, which is why I found this thread. I have used the Mayan Musk as well and also get the same sensation. It's not bad but if you cut yourself and apply lather, it stings like a ....

If it weren't for that sensation this would be a regularly used soap, at least once a week type thing, it's that good!

One thing that I did notice, is that the soap began to tingle and burn my face a little. Has this happened to anyone else that has used these soaps? It wasn't terrible, but toward the end it started to get a little uncomfortable. Maybe it is something in the soap, my TOBS Jermyn St. did the same thing when I first started using it.

I really like this soap, but the burning has me wondering. I'm going to give it another try to see if it tames down over time. I'd definitely like to try other scents that are available.

Overall I'd rate this soap a 9.5/10. If it weren't for the slight burning sensation it would be a 10/10.

Try using this soap without blooming it beforehand. The hot water on the surface of the soap definitely enhances the fragrance/essential oils used. That would probably alleviate any burning you notice throughout our passes.

Top Bottom