What's new

Vaping, Coils and long forgotten physics classes

I've been vaping for around a week & enjoying it but I've not got my head around all the options.

My current set up is a Smok xpro M80 plus with a Lemo drop atomiser.
http://smoktech.com/product_10137.html
http://www.eleafworld.com/product/de...-atomizer.html
Wicking and coil material was gifted to me. The wicking is Japanese orgainic cotton, the coil wire I'm not sure on but was gifted as suitable starter microcoil guage and appears to match the free sample that was included in the Lemo Drop box.

I started off a little too eager and ending up wrecking both the stock wick and coil. I'm currently on my second attempt at a homeamade mircocoil and have been playing around with wicks. A few questions:

Ohm meter? my Smok mod gives an ohm readout when I screw in the atomoizer, do I need a seperate ohm meter? What's the worst that can happen.....wrecked coil, wrecked mod, dragons?

My current, homemade, microcoil reads around 0.88ohms, the last one was around 1ohm, are there any charts/guides for <1.5Ohms? I've found some resources but they are a few years old and concentrate on >1.5Ohm.....the stock coil was around 1.1ohms.

I think I damaged some coils/wicks/throats ramping up the wattage too far, took me a few days to realise my 80 watt device in the current setup is best nearer 10% than 25-50% wattage. Currently vaping with 10 watts @ ~3V. If I was wanting to up the watts, because I can, what direction do I move in? Dual/tri/quad micro coils/macro coils/nano coils/heavier wire/lighter wire/airflow/wicking & stuff I've not thought of....

Last edited:
Here is a video on how to build on the Lemo Drop

If you need any cotton, or wire, PM me and I will send some out for you on Wednesday when I am in the shop.

Ohms meter is always handy to have, especially if you are getting into mechs at some point.

I will write more later, and you are always welcome to PM me. Off to do my CBT now, take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, pm incoming.

I seen that video and a few others on a late night youtube vaping binge, I still gotta get some practice building coils but my current attempt is at least functional if not overly aesthetically pleasing:

$coil.jpg

I've been messing around with settings, wicks and coils for a while now trying to figure out how to get a smooth vape, turns out all I needed was decent juice. the 5-10 little random, cheap, bottles I've amassed are all pretty rough and nasty. Picked up a bottle of suicide bunny mothers milk and all is well in the world now. I've still got a lot to learn but at least I'm enjoying the vaping experience far more now.

No worries, I got enough stuff to keep me busy. I'm living in a land of little samples at the moment, it's nice to get a feel for what I like before I start buying bin bag sized cotton from China, industrial sized wire reels and juice by the litre. The kanthal wire I'm using does the job but after a bit of reading I think I gotta pick up some nickel wire to get the best out of the temperature control thingy....although I've heard it's not as nice to work with as the kanthal and I'm really not sure I need temperature control......but it's more stuff to tinker with.

Same setup as in the op but with the new juice I'm getting really nice hits at 25w @ 4.8v, impressed I made it through the first few days vaping using budget 24mg tobacco flavour juice.....it was rougher than rollies without a filter :lol:

Sad news, I think my Smok has died after only a few weeks. Popped round to a friends to try it with a few other atomizers and it's just displaying 'check atomizer'. Thankfully the vendor I purchased it from, zdvapes, is happy to repair or replace on return so it's heading off in the post tomorrow. In the mean time, and after a brief return to old school smoking, I've been loaned an itaste mvp mod from a friend which is keeping me going. On the plus side after my return to smoking I'm even more convinced vaping is the way to go for me.

I was hoping for a one mod one atomizer setup but the reality seems to be I'll need to start making room amongst the razors, teapots and whatnot for a collection of this stuff if I'm gonna ditch the smokes. Sigh.

Top Bottom