What's new

The Newbies want to know what 2 quality inexpensive soaps do you recommend and why.

Www.Gingersgarden.com
Glycerin Shaving Soap Refill Puck Choose Your Fragrance $8. At least 100 fragrances easy lather. Slick.

They seem exquisitely made

$Screenshot_2015-04-26-11-43-18.jpg

Proraso, Mike's, Stirling, Cella; all are less than $12. All are easy to lather and provide protective, slick lather.

My two are about as inexpensive as it gets while still maintaining great lather and a decent scent:
Erasmic Shave Stick
Palmolive Shave Stick
Up the ladder of expense La Toja Shave Stick has what is said to be health giving mineral salts from the island of, yes you've guessed it, La Toja in Spain.
A little further up the ladder Tabac Original shave stick has great lather and a great scent.

I have a lot of good ones but since you said inexpensive, of the soaps I have, I'd have to nominate any of the Van der Hagens.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Arko - you can almost lather by staring at it! and super affordable

Mama Bears - I find it extremely easy to lather, providing some super slickness. Being able to pick various scents (or sample packs) makes Sue's stuff a great choice.

Arko-Great soap, price, and lather. Everyone should give it a try. I could use this forever and be a happy camper.
Van Der Hagen Luxury-Found in a lot of stores in the US. Great soap for a beginner, slick lather, and a nice clean scent.

1.) Cella. It is inexpensive, a hamster could make it lather, it gives a great shave, and smells awesome.

2.) Arko. It is DIRT cheap, a crippled hamster could make it lather, and it gives a good shave. I find it to have a very old fashioned, clean lemon, soapy smell. Some people call it a weakness, but I rather enjoy it.

While you might be right about the hamster thing, I prefer to use a badger brush. Or a lather cat.
proxy.php

An awful lot of people are suggesting Arko. Not to stir the pot or anything, but I don't find the lather from Arko to be anything special. It's good, especially considering how cheap it is, but there are plenty of soaps out there that produce a better lather, many of them for under $10 (which is what I would call inexpensive).

Proraso Green (tub or tune) and Arko (stick or puck or tub). 1) Easy to lather, slick, close shaves; 2) The choices of countless Italian and Turkish barbers.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm a little surprised that only one person has mentioned Stirling. Some pucks are as low as $5 and many are $7. The scents are fantastic, as is the performance. If you don't have a bowl or mug you want to press the puck in, pick up a tin for a couple of bucks. Amazing value all around.

I'll +1 Arko for all the reasons already mentioned.

I'm a little surprised that only one person has mentioned Stirling. Some pucks are as low as $5 and many are $7. The scents are fantastic, as is the performance. If you don't have a bowl or mug you want to press the puck in, pick up a tin for a couple of bucks. Amazing value all around.

I'll +1 Arko for all the reasons already mentioned.

You are absolutely right. I got so hung up on the inexpensive part..... Cella in the Kilo is probably cheaper, but in the tub, is more expensive than Stirling. I am currently rotating eight pucks of Stirling, not counting samples. It is by all accounts my favorite soap.

My votes:

Maggard's (I love the orange and lime scents, they lather very well, and are affordable)
Stirling (a really good value in my humble opinion; some scents work much better than others for me. Margaritas in the Arctic is a favorite)
Mike's (if you can order it . . . I wouldn't pick this for a newbie as they might wonder if buying soap is supposed to be a waiting game)
Cella (solid choice, weak on scent)
Arko (another solid choice, scent . . . is polarizing)
Proraso (C.O. Bigelow at Bed, Bath, & Beyond would be an easy way to physically check it out before buying)
Speick is great but a bit expensive compared to the other options

I have Palmolive, Cella,Proraso,Tabac and like them all. The Tabac is the best, but it's significantly more expensive than the others so may not qualify. The other 3 are all good and cheap, though i find Cella the least idiot-proof to lather. Palmolive was my go to soap/cream for 15 years before i discovered the Italian stuff and is ludicrously cheap in the UK. Tesco sells the sticks for 50p and they last a good six months. Proraso is probably my favourite cheapish soap as i love the minty scent, the bowl is a perfect size for swirling a brush, and the lather is excellent. I look forward to trying the Sandalwood at some point.

I'd heartily reccommend all of the above.

Anything from Stirling or RazoRock. Both provide slick lather with good cushion and great post shave feel. I find both to be very easy to face lather so you don't need a mug or bowl which cuts down on things you need to acquire as a newbie. They both have a variety of great scents so anyone should be able to find one they like. They are both made by outstanding gentlemen who operate exceptional businesses with great customer service.

Top Bottom