What's new

Switching between creams and/or soaps

If you have sensitive skin (sometimes you dont even need to), switching products can have a negative effect. I did acquire SCAD and SSAD but I realized that some creams/soaps are better than others. Some offer more lubricity, moisturizing, some are thicker/slicker. This variable changes your technique, whether an M3 or a straight razor.

I personally have noticed irritation from switching products. Part of it being the product itself (using different stuff on your face all the time is asking for some kind of irritation anyway) and the other part is the fact that I mentioned some creams being less slicker or less lubricating than others, and while you shave with the same technique, might cause more razor burn or having to go over the same part with too many passes. I myself like proraso red and TABAC but have noticed that the technique with either can change as well. Musgo is thick and offers a false sense of security IMO because I find myself having to go over the same spot more often, in contrast with something like TABAC. So, before you think about switching between all these products (which is fun and offers variance), sometimes its better to stick to one tried and true product so that your technique and other variables are always aligned together and your irritation is kept in check.

I haven't had a problem switching between products and I have very sensitive skin. BUT, I think that there are as many variations of skin type as there are people. So I can totally see how switching can cause irritation.

Two products that burn my face before my shave are:
TOBS Almond
Cremo Cream

However, I'm currently rotating between:
Tabac-- Soap
Proraso--Cream
Musgo Real--Cream
La Tajoa (spelling? it's the Spanish stuff)-- Cream

Then I start the rotation over again. I was thinking about adding another three creams or soaps so I could have one a week; but in reality, I will take me months to go through this stuff even on a four day rotation. :blush:

I guess I just have to see if it really is the creams/soaps. Maybe im exfoliating with the brush too much and causing irritation, could be stress too. Could be all combined. I like your rotation, SlyGI. i pretty much use the same thing. I like them in that order too, except the last one, since I dont have it lol.

correct spelling is la toja,

maybe its the brush, i had a harsh pure badger travel omega which use to rip my face apart, the cheap plastic handle should have warned me about that,

apart from that, even with my current silvertip omega, theres some creams i cant get to lather correctly, like proraso or la toja, while others, GTF, taylors, C&E work wonders,

when lathering, always start off with a rather dry brush and whip the bristles. using a bowl produces a watery lather for me so I lather on my palm but I shave while showering. you can always add a drop or three of hot water to the brush if you need more water.

my brush is a savile row 3122. At first I would just paint it across my face, then I started swirling + painting but then I started swirling even after the first pass and I think thats what irritated my face. So from now on, just a regular swirl motion at first to get the soap/cream into the beard, and then just paint and no swirls after any passes, just painted back on for relathering for 2nd pass.

correct spelling is la toja,

maybe its the brush, i had a harsh pure badger travel omega which use to rip my face apart, the cheap plastic handle should have warned me about that,

apart from that, even with my current silvertip omega, theres some creams i cant get to lather correctly, like proraso or la toja, while others, GTF, taylors, C&E work wonders,

Thanks for the spelling correction. You know, it may be his brush. I've had a brush or two in the past that just didn't like my face. Not sure why, maybe they were too scratchy?

I love a big thick lather, kind of like shaving mud, and I get that with each of my creams in my rotation. I've tried C&E Sandlewood, but I couldn't get it to lather for me. :001_smile I guess it all depends on the type of lather you like.

I've had problems with brush irritation as well. I have learned that less is more. Before the shave its just hot water whether from showering or a towel, no cleansers just water. Then I like to bowl lather to work it up nice that proceed to face and work the lather in gently. If I do much more than this I'll end up with redness and more irritation. I have realized that this along with gentle razor technique allows me to use creams that used to burn me. Oh and another thing I've learned is to only shave once a day. Just some thoughts...

Top Bottom