What's new

Start them Young

My son is turning 18 and has had that scruffy teenager facial hair for a while now. I decided I would give him the chance to start shaving with a straight razor and see how he liked it. First I loaned him a razor to try and he got acquainted with shaving with a straight. Then I explained the financial aspect of one razor for lifetime versus multiple electric or disposable razors. He is a very practical boy and soon realized that less money in razors means more money for his car( I did the same thing, which proves heredity).

For Christmas I made him a razor and gave him a strop. He has become used to the shaving ritual and seems like he may be a wet shaver for life.

Seems like a good investment to start a young man on the right road.

Reminds me of the Junior Leaders Battalion R.A.O.C. I joined at 16 when the C.S.M. remarked, "You've got fluff on your chin." So I was literally forced to start shaving. Most young people I meet won't start with a D.E. razor because they want the latest and greatest which is likely to be a cartridge system.

Kudos to you and your son. Starting with a straight is a bold move. I started my son with a DE at 17, but he has no interest in straights. Totally awesome.

18 with a straight? Sounds like a fine young gentleman. Nicely done!

My first is on the way, can't wait til either I give my son an unloaded DE to "shave" with or I have my daughter select my soap/cream/AS for the day.

Job well done op. I wish I had been presented with this kind of opportunity when I was 18. My father has shaved with an electric all his life due to working in potash/salt mines. Made shaving with a blade painful. I've been using a de for only four months and love it.

I will be teaching my son (11yrs) and my nephew (14 yrs) whose dad has, unfortunately never wanted to be part of his life, how to shave when the time comes. In exactly the same way that my dad did for me.

Nicely done my friend. Ill teach my sons(2/1) how to shave when its time too. My father left us before i was in shaving age so i figured it out myself with some shaving gel and a bag of cartriges no preshave no Aftershave no joy at all. It was a bloody desaster.... Hopefuly ill be able to save my boys from rhis kind of Experience.

Daniel

Thus is great! I have 3yr old twin boys and I just got two gillette slims. I'm getting them re-plated then packages for their 16th birthday.

Good idea to start shaving with stright razor at young age. First step: DE shave and second step stright razor!

Top Bottom