What's new

Long-handled SE

So I'm having trouble with the short handle of my GEM Damaskeene CC. I just had a shave with my old R89 plumwood handle (nice and long) and found that using no pressure was effortless; it's been a while since I've used a DE, so it was nice to see that the SE actually improved my DE technique.

Cutting to the chase: I like longer handles. I feel like they give me slightly more control, and it's so much easier to use no pressure (for me). With that being said, I love the shave of an SE; is there a single edge razor out there with a longer handle, or a way to find a longer handle to fit the thread of my Damaskeene?

The three GEM Micromatics all have longer handles. And many of the later model injectors also have longer handles.

eric.

The good news is that many SE's use the same 10-32 thread on the handle as DE's, only the male side of the thread is on the handle, rather than the razor. So, we can take a modern DE handle and with the addition of a setscrew mate it with an SE.

$setscrew.JPG

Here is a 1912 with a modern stainless steel Apollo handle:

$franken1912.JPG

Now the bad news: Some SE's, including Gem Damaskeenes and Ever-Ready 1914's use a smaller thread (8-32, I believe). If you want to use modern handles with these, the mounting hole in the base plate must be drilled out and tapped for the larger thread. This is not difficult to do, but it means that you will not longer be able to use the original handle. There is also the issue of taking a power drill to a classic razor. :001_huh:

Here is a user-grade Damaskeene that I have modified in this manner:

$sotd2_17.JPG

--Bob

Last edited:
Of course, the Mongoose and the King Cobra both have long handles although they take the Feather Professional or KAI Capt. Titan blades.

eric.

Older SEs (like the Damaskeene you mention) take an 8-32 thread. You could bore out your favourite SE to take a 10-32 or an M5 thread and use longer DE handles. You could also look out for a GEM Junior Elite, which has a long handle ... and THE best head:

proxy.php

If you have a #8-32 Damaskeene and want to keep the head original (i.e. no drilling to #10-32), use a #8-32 stud or setscrew and wrap the end that goes into the handle in Teflon plumbing tape or plain old black electrical tape. They're both 32 threads/inch so there is no thread pitch mismatch.

Thats a brilliant idea about using inserts to convert a DE handle. I never even thought of it, now I am regretting selling my heavy handle as I thought I no longer had use for it.

The good news is that many SE's use the same 10-32 thread on the handle as DE's, only the male side of the thread is on the handle, rather than the razor. So, we can take a modern DE handle and with the addition of a setscrew mate it with an SE.

View attachment 567014

Here is a 1912 with a modern stainless steel Apollo handle:

View attachment 567015

Now the bad news: Some SE's, including Gem Damaskeenes and Ever-Ready 1914's use a smaller thread (8-32, I believe). If you want to use modern handles with these, the mounting hole in the base plate must be drilled out and tapped for the larger thread. This is not difficult to do, but it means that you will not longer be able to use the original handle. There is also the issue of taking a power drill to a classic razor. :001_huh:

Here is a user-grade Damaskeene that I have modified in this manner:

View attachment 567019

--Bob

Just a warning. Try to get a stainless setscrew. I didn't and I'm still trying to get the rust out of my handle...

Late to the party I know- if you stumble over a vintage Star their handles will fit nicely.

8AqqdyoFG9Ms0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Attachments

• $Untitled.jpg
    $Untitled.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom