What's new

Newbie question

Hi all,

I'm still a newbie to wet shaving and need some advice.

I've got my lathering dialled in and am using a Muhle R89 Grande (which I love) and feather blades. I'm getting very close to BBS now with all the advice and tips on this forum. I'm very comfortable with the feathers.

Now, I am expecting delivery of a Gillette E2 red tip any day now. Should I back off on the feather, as I've read the red tip is quite aggressive and my R89 is quite mild.
I have polsilver si's and personna red israelis.

Am I asking for trouble with feathers in the red tip being a relative newbie?

Thanks

There is no need to "back off" with the new razor. Poor technique is what causes problems and if you are happy that you are doing things correctly, then you should be fine. If you are not 100% sure maybe test your new razor with a different blade or on a Saturday morning :whistling:

If you like the Feathers...keep using them, they are a quality blade.
For me the Red Tip / Feather combo provides awesome shaves :thumbup1:

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

The Red Tip's reputation is largely exaggerated, and it's not really an aggressive razor.

Some guys use a Red Tip when they want a mild shave ... :wink2: You'll be fine. :thumbup1:

I agree. There is no need to fear feathers in a red tip. Just be careful and watch the angle and pressure and you'll be fine. Good luck.

There is no need to "back off" with the new razor. Poor technique is what causes problems and if you are happy that you are doing things correctly, then you should be fine. If you are not 100% sure maybe test your new razor with a different blade or on a Saturday morning :whistling:

How many wet shavers get the situation where the first time they use a blade it's just about the worst experience they've had but then subsequent shaves are smoother. So yes, sharpness matters and blades can be too sharp. But I don't see the point of backing off before you've tried it. So try it first and then come to a decision. Personally, I never got on with Feather blades into my second packet and threw the remaining 4 in the bin: Terrible shave, most uncomfortable shave I've ever had!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
If Feathers work for you in your Muhle 89 go ahead and try one in your Red Tip. I'm sure you'll be fine; Feathers are great blades.

All the advice above is great, if the Feathers work for you then sick with them. A tip though, if your first shave or so is a little rough it could just be that you need to get used to the razor. I definitely had a learning period of about a week when I got my second razor (a slim) and now my shaves are better than ever!

Thanks guys for the responses.

I'll stick with the feathers then. I'll just take my time. Nice and easy like when I first started wet shaving.

Thanks again

I'd stick with the same blades, the less variables you introduce at a time will make it easier to decide what works or went wrong.

Top Bottom