What's new

removing a slight from

I think I would try to leave the smile on the rest of the blade as untouched as possible and remove as much from the heel as needed to get rid of the frown. I would do the work with a raised spine and circles, probably near the corner of a coarse stone or diamond plate.

I would do heel leading half strokes on the heel portion to see how far its off. I would maybe raise the spine and correct the frown. The heel may need trimming also. But no way to say for sure from here. I think you be ok with that one.

If you relax the heel a little bit, not much, and then tape the spine and work a good rolling stroke with focused pressure up toward the stabilizer, you'll clear the issue at that end without losing much.
The trick will be to also focus on the transition point, so that becomes less apparent.
This is like painting an abstract - you'll have to work it a bit then stop and review.
You'll wind up with a heavy-toe smile, and how heavy the toe remains is up to you.

Last edited:
You could also tape the spine and then tape the toe with 2 wraps which will leave only the heel touching the stone.

I wouldn't correct it. I'd hone it with current geometry. As it is it's an oddball chopper. To correct it you're going to have to hone the toe way back and it'll become a very ordinary W&B.

To be honest with you, if the current edge and spine relationship gets you to the edge easily I'd just hone and shave with her, that's is not that bad..

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to give a go tonight on the hones and see if she shaves properly as is. I'd hate to lose any character.

Top Bottom