What's new

Will they ever stop adding more blades into carts?

Hello gents,

So today I was googling around and nearly fell off my chair when found out that Dorco has released its new 7 bladed shaving system "pace 7" (As if 6 blades didn't get the job done).I don't quite understand, what is driving these companies to add so many blades into a single cart?

I don't really think dorco intends to sale pace 6 or pace 7, instead they may be trying to patent all the remaining "more blades" options for gillette and schick by patenting 6 and 7 blades first into a cart. But then again, its getting ridiculous. A single Pace 7 razor costs about $37.

Its interesting to see that dorco hasn't mentioned anything about pace 7 on their official page.

Here is the amazon link

I guess time will tell. 7 is a number that represents perfection, so maybe that's the end of the line.

At some point it HAS to reach diminishing returns. Two blades were trouble enough with whiskers and dead skin getting caught between blades. With 5, 7, or more blades, at some point they collectively bear so little pressure on the growth that they would hardly cut at all.

Probably not
$many-blades.png

Gillette must know the end of the line is coming for adding more blades. So they're probably desperate to create some new feature that is patentable and that they can claim is superior to anything out there if they want their margins to stay high over the next 20 years. Loss of margin is what prompted them to develop the Trac 2. I figure a crisis with Fusion sales and more problems with multi blade copycats is what it would take to galvanize them to think of something new. At least I hope they turn around and say, You know we said one blade wasn't good but that was before Dazzle X, the new Wonder Razor that makes single blade shaving the best thing around!!!

More blades doesn't necessarily make the shave more irritating. The extra blades can distribute pressure. The real issue is space, more blades makes for a bigger razor. The Fusion is so big they have to put a single blade on the back because the 5 blades are not as good for shaving certain areas.

Gotta think that the number of blades can only go so high... Though I'm sure there is any number of combinations between a cartridge razor and an electric shaver... Seems like only a matter of time before Gillette gets into the electric shaver game.

Gillette must know the end of the line is coming for adding more blades. So they're probably desperate to create some new feature that is patentable and that they can claim is superior to anything out there if they want their margins to stay high over the next 20 years.

I've been curious to see what Gillette's post-Fusion course will be. Tracking their cartridge history reveals a fairly clear pattern: new cartridge is released, then refined, then superseded by a new design, averaging 8 - 9 years "reign" of each flagship. It also shows the Fusion has mostly run its course already.

- Trac II: Introduced 1972; remained flagship for five years.

- Atra: Introduced in 1977; refined by adding lube strip, calling it Atra Plus; remained flagship for 13 years.

- Sensor: Introduced in 1990; refined by adding rubber fins and a change in color, calling it Sensor Excel; remained flagship for 8 years.

- Mach 3: Introduced in 1998; refined by adding new coatings, new fins, and a change in color, calling it Mach 3 Turbo; further refined by adding vibrating handle, a change in color, calling it Mach 3 Power; remained flagship for eight years.

- Fusion: Introduced in 2006, with both regular and power versions at launch; refined by adding slimmer blades, newer coatings, and redesigned rubber bumper, calling it Fusion Proglide; further refined by adding a lateral pivot to handle, and calling it Fusion Proglide with Flexball Technology; has been flagship for nine years and counting.

The Fusion has gone through the typical course, and is past the point where all models but the Atra were superseded by the next model. It's tempting, but tough, to read into this. Is the Fusion still hanging around because Gillette has painted itself into a corner and doesn't know where to go next? Is Gillette content to ride out the Fusion until its patent is due to expire? What can Gillette do next that won't either look absurd or like it's backtracking? I don't know, but I'm interested to find out.

I've been curious to see what Gillette's post-Fusion course will be. Tracking their cartridge history reveals a fairly clear pattern: new cartridge is released, then refined, then superseded by a new design, averaging 8 - 9 years "reign" of each flagship. It also shows the Fusion has mostly run its course already.

- Atra: Introduced in 1977; refined by adding lube strip, calling it Atra Plus; remained flagship for 13 years.

- Sensor: Introduced in 1990; refined by adding rubber fins and a change in color, calling it Sensor Excel; remained flagship for 8 years.

- Mach 3: Introduced in 1998; refined by adding new coatings, new fins, and a change in color, calling it Mach 3 Turbo; further refined by adding vibrating handle, a change in color, calling it Mach 3 Power; remained flagship for eight years.

- Fusion: Introduced in 2006, with both regular and power versions at launch; refined by adding slimmer blades, newer coatings, and redesigned rubber bumper, calling it Fusion Proglide; further refined by adding a lateral pivot to handle, and calling it Fusion Proglide with Flexball Technology; has been flagship for nine years and counting.

The Fusion has gone through the typical course, and is past the point where all models but the Atra were superseded by the next model. It's tempting, but tough, to read into this. Is the Fusion still hanging around because Gillette has painted itself into a corner and doesn't know where to go next? Is Gillette content to ride out the Fusion until its patent is due to expire? What can Gillette do next that won't either look absurd or like it's backtracking? I don't know, but I'm interested to find out.

Great coverage! I guess they will partner w/ Stark Industries next!

marty

I'm waiting for the Gillette super 16 myself, man on the day I can slide 16 super thin, super sharp blades across my face while the razor also vibrates, gyrates, and pivots in every possible direction, and the whiskers either fall off out of fear or just plain ole evaporate from the built up friction, that will be the day that I go back to carts...:lol:

good job with this information. Very interesting and well written

Competition is what drives Gillette. They only rolled out the Sensor when cheap disposable razors, including their own Good News, was eating into their profits.

These super duper blades are just becoming too complicated and expensive. No wonder more and more men are moving to traditional wet shaving with far better results. I just hope this trend continues.

I have a No! No!. My wife mostly uses it but I originally bought it for me. Never used it on my face, but I have used it on my legs, a few stray back hairs, and I've thought about using it on the lower neck hairs that are never easy to shave. Results are very mixed but it's as least as effective as IPL and a lot less painful.

The No! No! of course has cartridges you have to replace as the metal wire wears out over time. But at least they have a black one that guys can buy... but I opted for a refurbished pink one :001_smile

I think using the No No on a guy's beard would have to be much more painful, and might not work as well as other parts of the body. It works best on thin little hairs, the kind women get on their faces.

I thought the limit was reached with 5 blades and an extra blade on the back. From what I see in my circle of friends here in U.K. people are kicking against the high cost and returning to two blades which is where the shave clubs are scoring. A shame though that it looks like Boots are dumping their two-blade system in favour of their 3-blade: Their 2-blade razor is still available but not the extra carts.

An area not yet exploited is nose hair which is still the province of scissors, wire cutters and electric trimmers. Soon we could be sticking a razor up our nose.

It's gotten beyond the point of ridiculous now. They can add all the blades they want and make them pivot, gyrate, buzz and put microwave ovens in them if they want. So long as Personna and Gillette Silver Blue blades are available, I'm good to go.

Top Bottom