What's new

Old gillette 7 o'clock safety razor

Hi!

Yesterday my grandmother gave me my grandfathers old gillette 7 o'clock safety razor. He died 40 years ago, so it hasn't been used in ages! Its shape doesn't look to be the best, as you can see on the pictures. How can I clean it? And can i actually make use of it as a razor again?
I shaved for the first time with a DE razor about a month ago, and I'm still learning it. How would this razor shave?
Atm I have an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor, which I'm pretty happy with. What differences are there on the razors?

Thanks!
$IMG_4685.jpg$IMG_4687.jpg$IMG_4688.jpg$IMG_4689.jpg$IMG_4690.jpg

Welcome to B&B!

That is a fantastic heirloom, big congrats!

First thing I've noticed, the green bakelite case. Usually they are brown, so that one is a scarce version, you don't see those green bakelite cases too often, so it's an extra special heirloom.

Second, your Grandfather had good taste in razors. That is a Flat Bottom NEW, a very nice shaver. I don't think you'll have any issues shaving with it. It's a mild shaver, yet very efficient.

Doesn't look bad at all, I've seen much worse and they still shave great. Just clean it up with an old toothbrush and hot soapy water and enjoy. :thumbup1:

Great razor. I've been looking for one of the 7 O'Clocks for myself. A great razor. Very smooth and efficient shaver.

That's my favorite razor of all time (7 o'clock/Gillette flat bottom). I also have one in the green bakelite case and it took me months of searching to find (and unfortunately missing a side chunk).

That's what you call a score right there.

Grandpa had excellent taste.

Just recently found a 7 O'clock flat bottom and have been enjoying wonderful shaves. Handle is a little different but same head.
Congrats on that family heirloom. Tell us what you think of the shave once it is cleaned up.:thumbup1:

Very cool and lucky to have a heirloom razor. A 7 O'Clock is one of the razors on my wishlist. It looks to be in great shape. Enjoy your adventure and let us know how it shaves.

Wow, sounds like i got lucky with that razor! I will get it cleaned up asap, and try to shave with it.

Congrats! Being your grandpa's razor makes it extra special!
I'm looking forward to the post clean-up pictures and shave review.

Enjoy your shaves!

She looks like she would clean up very well. I would throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner a half dozen times with a toothbrush scrub in between each one then a good flitz polish and she will look great.

Hello

So i got around to clean the razor and I'm actually pretty happy with the result! I think i might polish it just to give it an extra shine, but i don't have anything around the house to do so, so that will have to wait.
I also tried shaving with it. I was actually a bit surprised! I have only the Edwin Jagger DE89 to compare it with. It seemed a bit more aggressive, but i did find it a bit easier to find the right angle to shave. I was very pleased with the result, and the fact that it's a family heirloom made it much more special!
$IMG_4705.jpg$IMG_4706.jpg$IMG_4707.jpg$IMG_4704.jpg

I have a 7 O'clock like that but sadly without its box, it's one of my favourites.

After reading some other members' experiences with Razor Emporium I wouldn't touch them with someone else's barge pole. There are a couple of guys on here who do plating and are well regarded, their names escape me because they're on the wrong side of the pond for me, but I'm sure someone will chime in and help.

Top Bottom