What's new

First Run with Semogue 620

I'm new to wet shaving at only about 2.5 months in. The addiction has it's claws buried deep already though.

My first brush was a Parker Pure Badger BCPB. A nice enough brush, one that a noob can easily generate a sufficient lather with. But as I experimented with harder soaps, I wanted something with a little more backbone.

I then purchased an Omega Pro 48. A decent brush. I worked hard to break that guy in for about a month. I soaked it in dish soap, then lathered it every day and let it set overnight for a week before I used it. About 3 weeks later it has become what I'd consider at this point in the game a "useable" brush, but I wasn't terribly happy with it. It wasn't until I happened across an old thread on this site about the differences between a Semogue 620 and 830 that I realized why.

I'm a face latherer, and I learned in that thread that there are specific brushes that are made to work better for that task. The angle of the bristles and the amount of bristles that make it to the surface are important factors to consider when purchasing a shave brush. So I purchased the Semogue 620.

My life has been changed forever.

I soaked the Semogue in dish soap and hot water for a few hours yesterday evening. Then I lathered it up with DR Harris Arlington (one of my favorite soaps and scents so far) to let it sit overnight. I was very impressed with how soft it was at this point without losing any of its backbone, but still didn't expect to use it until later next week.

This morning I went to rinse it out and was again surprised with the condition it was in. I decided to go ahead and use it for my shave this morning, and it is by far, BY FAR, the best brush in my arsenal right now. I loaded it up with Captains Choice Bay Rum and it produced an unbelievable lather with minimal effort. It's soft but has backbone, it loads extremely easily, and it's the perfect size to face lather. I love it. I can't imagine how great it's going to be after using it for a month or so.

And only $20... Kudos to Semogue.

I love all the Semogue boar offerings in 50mm loft. I have all I can find except for the 620. It's on my radar though.

I love my 1438 and 1520, very similar knot to the 620. I also have the 1470, 1460, and the 610. I really like the banded Extra 75% Tops knots better than the Best 90% tops. The Best knots are good, but those Extra knots are WONDERFUL once they are broken in.

I'm glad to hear that you like yours so much. Now I've got to get one too!

I'm now regretting selling my 620. It is an excellent face lathering monster. My only gripe was the handle was too slippery.

Once I'm out of rehab for synthetic brush acquisition disorder, I may buy one of the others mentioned that have the same knot but different handles.

Used this guy again this morning. However, I used it with the first cream I've ever tried, TOBS Rose. Same result as soaps and croaps. An awesome little lather monster.

I'm now regretting selling my 620. It is an excellent face lathering monster. My only gripe was the handle was too slippery.

Once I'm out of rehab for synthetic brush acquisition disorder, I may buy one of the others mentioned that have the same knot but different handles.

Lol, this sounds similar to me although I still have mine. My issue isn't with the slippery handle but rather the size of the handle itself. I'm a tall guy and have quite long fingers. I find that thing quite awkward to hold and it cramps up my fingers like no other (which is why I'll be selling it soon). It is undeniable how good this brush is for face lathering however.

I'm on that synthetic high right now myself too though and I find that the Muhle Black Fibre v2 is very similar in size but with a better handle (depending on the model you get) and far superior lather building capabilities, for me. YMMV.

Lol, this sounds similar to me although I still have mine. My issue isn't with the slippery handle but rather the size of the handle itself. I'm a tall guy and have quite long fingers. I find that thing quite awkward to hold and it cramps up my fingers like no other (which is why I'll be selling it soon). It is undeniable how good this brush is for face lathering however.

I'm on that synthetic high right now myself too though and I find that the Muhle Black Fibre v2 is very similar in size but with a better handle (depending on the model you get) and far superior lather building capabilities, for me. YMMV.

I agree...small as well.

My synthetic illness includes a EJ 21mm horn handle, a Muhle 23mm horn handle, an Omega S. Just sold my Plisson to someone who might appreciate it more. I'm anxiously waiting on a WD from Larry.

Back to the 620.....what brush uses the same knot but a bigger, less slippery handle?

The 1800 is similar but slightly longer in loft. Bigger handle too. I prefer the 1250 to the 1800 though (I think it has more backbone).

In boar, i own both Omega and Semogue, and i really like Omega...BUT Semogue makes in my opinion the BEST boar brushes on the market. I own the SOC Boar (Cherry wood handle) and an 830, and totally love both. I now rarely reach for my Omega (despite it still being a great brush).

Top Bottom