What's new

First Shave With Parker SR 1

Just when I was ready to give up Straight Razor Shaving, I purchased and shaved with the Parker sr 1 and the shave was Fantastic, Overall just a couple of knicks but a very nice shaver overall.,Prevously, I have tried to shave with a regular straight, but for some reason, I always found it difficult, EI, blade always skipping on my beard, admittedly I am a noob at this, good news is, the SR 1 Has given me renewed hope.

View attachment 566748
:straight:

Your issue with the real straight was likely substandard honing or stropping. A properly honed and stropped straight will shave smoother and will be more forgiving that the disposable blade razor. You should check on the edge and try it again.

Post a pic of it. Who honed it?

Wow. Sounds like you're doing far better than my frist few attempts with the SR1.

I really like the Shark blades in mine (and Astra). I've tried a few different blades and each one has its own unique characteristics - different from a DE razor.

Yup, keep at it. It only gets more rewarding as far as I'm concerned. Astra's, Sharks, and Personnas are good, inexpensive, and readily available blade choices.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Nothing wrong with a shavette at all. :thumbup1: And I'm happy you picked up one with a good holder mechanism. Once you are getting some nice and easy shaves with your shavette, you should find a traditional straight a piece of cake.

BTW, Shark blades work great for me in my shavette as well. :straight:

I use the very same razor on trips where I'm changing from place to place, or when I stay by the beach. For angles, stretching, and holding the razor, you can learn a few things that can be applied to straights, but the actual stroke is a little different. Don't give up. If you can use a Parker, you can use a straight down the road. The ergonomics are quite similar.

I have been enjoying a Feather SS lately. I haven't tried a shavette that uses a DE blade. If you can master shaving with a shavette, going back to a traditional straight will be Nirvana (and very easy). I am amazed at how easy my straights are to use after shaving daily for about 3 weeks with nothing but the Feather SS. It is much like playing a musical instrument. When you practice skills that are technically very difficult, other songs/techniques become more easy to play.

I have been enjoying a Feather SS lately. I haven't tried a shavette that uses a DE blade. If you can master shaving with a shavette, going back to a traditional straight will be Nirvana (and very easy). I am amazed at how easy my straights are to use after shaving daily for about 3 weeks with nothing but the Feather SS. It is much like playing a musical instrument. When you practice skills that are technically very difficult, other songs/techniques become more easy to play.

Fantastic Analogy! , I wanna thank all you guys for the comments, and support.

Top Bottom