What's new

Picadillo Recipe

Thanks for the recipe, Aaron - looks awesome!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to keep my eyes open. Up in this part of the world BBQ sauce is considered wild and crazy :thumbup:
As long as you're not too far in the wilds of Maine, you should be able to find chipotles in adobo. Here in your neighbor state (NH) they're in most supermarkets. If you have a Market Basket or Hannaford near you they both should stock them in the "ethnic" aisle. Different brand though. The ones I usually find are the Embasa brand.
proxy.php

Thanks for the recipe, Aaron - looks awesome!

As long as you're not too far in the wilds of Maine, you should be able to find chipotles in adobo. Here in your neighbor state (NH) they're in most supermarkets. If you have a Market Basket or Hannaford near you they both should stock them in the "ethnic" aisle. Different brand though. The ones I usually find are the Embasa brand.
proxy.php
Checked out the local Walmart and found one of these.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Love the look of the Picadillo. Brings to mind sloppy Joe. I like the smokiness of the chipotle in adobo. I run into a difficulty in that I can't use a whole can in the batch of chili I make. Are there other uses?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Love the look of the Picadillo. Brings to mind sloppy Joe. I like the smokiness of the chipotle in adobo. I run into a difficulty in that I can't use a whole can in the batch of chili I make. Are there other uses?

Same here. I buy the tiny little 3.5 oz cans, which have about 5 or 6 peppers inside. I put some in my pinto beans last night while in the crock-pot. They are great in a marinade for chicken, beef or pork. I also add one or two when making salsa or hot sauce.

Just whenever you need sweet smoke in the dish.....

Picadillo has more of a beef hash flavor and texture....unless of course you add a whole can of Chipotle's. You can make it more soupy or thick. I like it sort of In-between.

Last edited:
I add 1-2 when making black beans. Did that today, actually. [emoji3]

I was supposed to make this over the weekend and ran out of time; my wife got tired of waiting and made it for dinner tonight:)
It has been raining here nonstop all day and this might be the perfect rainy day/cold weather meal; it's warm, satisfying, hearty, delicious. I think it's going to be a regular around here. It has loads more flavor than it looks like it ought to if that makes any sense, the adobo peppers really make it interesting. I had it as tacos with some chipotle cholula and the girls all had it over rice. I didn't want to quit eating!

$image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Wow!!! Way to go Otto....I mean Otto's wife, LOL.

It looks just right too. It's a comfort food that is healthy and satisfying. Great with tortillas, rice or by itself in a soup bowl.

Did you eat all 4 of those?

I made it last night. Soooooo good!
I used 3 chipotles and it gave it a nice heat without being overpoweringly smoky. Served on tortillas. This is a keeper!

This morning I put some on top of a fried egg and toasted corn tortilla for breakfast. That was yummy too.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I made it last night. Soooooo good!
I used 3 chipotles and it gave it a nice heat without being overpoweringly smoky. Served on tortillas. This is a keeper!

This morning I put some on top of a fried egg and toasted corn tortilla for breakfast. That was yummy too.

Stop it...just stop.:laugh: BTW, I did the same thing with my eggs the next morning.

I like the idea of 3 chipotles too instead of 1 like in the recipe. But, I had to start at a lower number knowing that the chipotle peppers are something unknown to most.

Glad you liked it. My wife ate her taco and said it tasted much better than it looked...:blink:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
My turn.

Just a couple of things different. I simmered it for about 10 or 15 minutes before adding the potato as I wanted it to reduce a bit first.
Second I looked in the freezer to find no peas, so used some frozen mixed veg instead.
Served with rice tonight. This was a double batch so there is plenty of left overs so I will have some with tortilla tomorrow......maybe.

$20150704_165356.jpg

$20150704_173825.jpg

$20150704_183847.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I had one with salsa and another with Culleys Reaper Chipotle. There is still leftovers, so are thinking of a toasty sandwich with some of Culleys Reaper to heat it up.
Then again I may just heat it up and put some on toast, topped with a runny fried egg plus the reaper hot sauce.......................now I'm hungry

There is a southery cold snap coming our way for the next few days so a bit of hot-hot sauce may be the order of the day.
Today I mixed a bit of El Chupacabra and my Kiwi Hot sauce in my sammies for lunch. That should keep the cold away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom