What's new

Looking for a replacement head for a MR5

I'm new to DE shaving. I first purchased a HD34c, love the razor. Looking to expanded my collection I brought a MR5 razor. I shaved with it 3 times. I love the handle, but the head sucks. After reading a bunch of post that seems to the true. So what head would you recommend buying to use with the handle. Vintage or new does not matter to me. I just want something that will give a great shave.

Vintage or new does not matter to me. I just want something that will give a great shave.

Welcome to B&B!

Great shave? Gillette NEW. You can thank me later.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/The NEW.htm

A Gillette NEW LC (long comb) is a great razor.

proxy.php

Sucked in what way? Some of the first version Maggard heads had troubles with alignment. I have a 2nd run and find it to be a decent shaver. If yours has problems, I am willing to bet you that Brad or Casie would replace it with the newer model, no hassles. I actually have a Maggard 5 handle on a DE89 that I use for travel, and really like it. It is a great handle. Good luck.

Blade alignment. No matter how I but the end cap on or insert the blade, I could not get the blade alignment right. I'm sure that Brad and Casie would do something, and I will probable order from them again. I got the razor 2 weeks ago, so I think I should have V2. But how good can V2 really be, when the difference between just buying the handle is $3.

It's a fair question. I have bought several of them for the handles. The one I tried works just fine, but I agree that it isn't exactly a top notch head. It's good enough that I keep it for a spare, or to loan out, or whatever. I may buy one of the new open comb heads when they release it, cause I have so many handles, and if the blades line up, it might displace my DE89 for a traveller. You could buy a DE or Muhle 89 head. I like my 5 on my 89.

I've been thinking about trying a vintage Tech head on my MR1. Seems like a natural combination. Have you considered a Tech head?

Thanks for all the recommendations. Let me tell you what I did. I purchased 2 razor. The first was a 1963 Gillette slim adjustable and the second was an iKon 102 Slant (it came with handle, but I can use the MR5 handle on it). I see this type of saving is going to be as cheap as I thought, but at least I want to save everyday now. Now I'm off looking for my next DE.

Top Bottom