What's new

New wet shaver

Hi all! Did my first wet shave a week ago! So far so good! I did experience some razor burn but that seems to have abated. I purchased two DE razors (Muhel TAOS fine engraved and Parker 99 R). I've only tried the Muhel. Yesterday, my son asked if he could try the Parker. I gladly gave it to him and he did his first wet shave. Today, he did his second shave. He is complaining about razor burn and his cheeks are slightly inflamed. Both of us have tough skin and do not sun burn easily. We use the Art of Shaving products (pre shave oil, cream, and balm).

My son is a big fellow and body builder. My sense is he is using too much pressure and not letting the razor just rest and glide on his skin.

I would be grateful to receive guidance from the community on what he may be doing wrong!

Thanks in advance to all who respond!

Runner

I am very new to this as well, but for me i experience some hefty razor burn at first too. I bought an alum block per recommendations here and I discovered it was too much pressure. My blade angle and technique still has a long way to go, but it was the pressure on the razor that was really getting me.

I'm sure others with WAY more experience than I have will chime in. Welcome, I just joined up today as well!

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
It took me about 20 shaves to learn the DE razor.

It does take take time to learn it.

Back in 1966 I tried to shave with a DE razor, but I gave up and got shaved some other way.

I am very new to this as well, but for me i experience some hefty razor burn at first too. I bought an alum block per recommendations here and I discovered it was too much pressure. My blade angle and technique still has a long way to go, but it was the pressure on the razor that was really getting me.

I'm sure others with WAY more experience than I have will chime in. Welcome, I just joined up today as well!

I had not considered an alum block so thanks for the tip!

It took me about 20 shaves to learn the DE razor.

It does take take time to learn it.

Back in 1966 I tried to shave with a DE razor, but I gave up and got shaved some other way.

Yes, there is a definite difference shaving with a DE vs cartridge. I must be lucky because each shave is getting more comfortable!

Yes, there's a learning curve -- take your time and enjoy the experience. The shaves will get better.

Thanks! I do enjoy the experience! It has been fun.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Runner; Welcome to B&B! My best guess would be to have your son be careful with too much pressure on the razor when shaving.

Welcome to B&B to you and your son. For me it has always come down to angle and pressure, if I do what I am supposed to do, usually get little to no feedback from my alum block.

Keep at it the shaves will get better.

Runner; Welcome to B&B! My best guess would be to have your son be careful with too much pressure on the razor when shaving.

+1. What Mike said. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can without it falling from your hand. I have found that using the right grip on your razor goes a long way in keeping pressure off of the blade. This post may help you. Also, take a look at this wiki.

Thanks for the replies and advice! I shared the comments about pressure and angle with my son. He is going to give it a go later this afternoon!

Runner

Excellent advice above.

Light to no pressure, right angle, lock your wrist and let the blade fly over your skin. Patience and practice, it only gets better!

Oh, and welcome aboard!:thumbup1:

Nice to hear of your progress. I hope that your son is going to join us at B&B too?

Thanks to all for their replies and encouragement! Yes, we both are enjoying this new way of shaving. My sense is it will get better as we get more competent.

Top Bottom