What's new

Gillette NEW Standard, really?

I posted it on the Acquisition Thread.

A nice Gillette NEW Standard in decent condition.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

As usual, excuse the poor pics.

A couple of bent teeth (on the corners), but all in all, nice, clean and shave ready. And not (too) outrageously priced.

A question: I suppose it's a NEW Standard, silver, but if you look at the knurling of the knob, it's right the same pattern as in the rest of the handle, no variations.

In Achim's site, there are several similar, but no the same. The pattern is similar (knob-handle), but not exactly the same.

I.e.

New Improved

A New Standard silver

proxy.php

A Bostonian
proxy.php

A Richwood

proxy.php

NEW

A Belmont Deluxe

proxy.php

Any opinion, please?

Juan Manuel. TOFLAC-U. Survivor of the 2013 M&F Chief Group Buy. New Golden Age Pomader.

I actually asked you what's the serial # in the other thread precisely because of that.

They changed that early in the New Improved run, possibly to improve the grip. That razor must be from 1921 or early 1922, not sure exactly when the change occurred but not later than early 1922.

I'd just call it a New Improved, since a New Standard is a set - a combination of that razor and a particular case. The same exact razor came in many other sets, Bostonian, Richwood, etc ... So without a case, there is no set, it's a standard New Improved.

A very nice example, congrats.

The last one you posted there is not even a New Improved, it's part of the NEW family and it was made in the 30s. That one in particular was made in England and it's a 2 piece razor, like the NEW RFB #77/88.

Last edited:
I actually asked you what's the serial # in the other thread precisely because of that.

They changed that early in the New Improved run, possibly to improve the grip. That razor must be from 1921 or at most early 1922, not sure exactly when the change occurred but not later than early 1922.

I'd just call it a New Improved, since a New Standard is a set - a combination of that razor and a particular case. The same exact razor came in many other sets, Bostonian, Richwood, etc ... So without a case, there is no set, it's a standard New Improved.

A very nice example, congrats.

I've just told you the serial number on the other thread!!!!:laugh:

It's 5184A

And, about the case, SORRY, forgot to add pics of it. It's lousy but clearly has "Standard" on the inner side of the lid.

$NSCASE1.jpg$NSCASE2.jpg$NSCASE3.jpg

It could be a mismatch?

Thanks, again!

I saw your reply.

Yup, 5184A is a very low number, definitely one of the first New Improved razors made in 1921.

Thanks.

The seller told me it's from 1927, because serial numbering was supposedly suspended between Oct 1927 - August 1928[FONT=Guardian-EgypTT-Text, Georgia, serif].[/FONT]:blink:

They changed that early in the New Improved run, possibly to improve the grip. That razor must be from 1921 or early 1922, not sure exactly when the change occurred but not later than early 1922.

It was late in 1921 that they made that change from the examples I've seen -- somewhere around the 600K mark (out of ~860K that they made that year) if I'm remembering correctly.

Top Bottom