What's new

Dumb Cigar question

Ok I'm sure you guys are going to think this is dumb, but I just got a few awesome looking cigars from a friend that are begging to be smoked on the back deck this spring. I have smoked a few cheapo ones before but none like these. Do I have to nip off the back end of them? What do you use? How do you recommend lighting them? Bic lighter? Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have not. In a former life I dated a girl from Medina, and was at the cigar shop once right after it opened, but now I don't really have any reason to be up there

Derrick,
Check out the shave place. It's known as straightrazordesigns.com online. They have everything and great prices.
Terry

Can anyone recommend a cheap cutter? I hate to spend much as I only have a few cigars right now.

A cigar shop should have inexpensive ones near the register. The cheap ones are pretty much all the same and good for beginners.

Yes the end must be cut. Best way is Double guillotine cutter, under $2 on Amazon, free shipping. I prefer better ones like Xikar.

Bic Butane lighter, perfect

Mild flavored single malt like Glenmorangie or MacAllan goes well with cigars every time I smoke. Avoid very smoky or very phenolic ones like laphroaig or balvenie. Then again, a good bourbon like Elijah Craig or a fine rye works, too.

Last edited:
See if they carry Isla Del Sol cigars. Cheap and amazing mild smokes! As for drink, anything you want. Bourbon, martini, scotch, beer, sodas, water. Whatever strikes the fancy!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've started to enjoy a cup of coffee with my cigar. And to make it worse I'm talking about left over coffee from the morning that I reheat in the evening to have with my cigar.

Surprisingly the coffee tastes better than it did in the morning and mellows out the cigar aftertaste.

I would go with a butane lighter. Nothing with lighter fluid as that might impart a taste to the cigar. I hear walmart sells a $5 butane that works like a charm.

Whatever you do don't bite the end off. All you will accomplish is unraveling your cigar and eating tobacco. A really sharp razor blade should work fine, maybe even a double edge razor blade, if you don't have a cutter. But as mentioned your local cigar shop will sell cheap ones that work. Just get one of those to be safer.

I hear walmart sells a $5 butane that works like a charm.

I've decided not to bother with torch lighters made for smoking/general purpose lighting anymore, in favor of this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/micro-torch-42101.html
proxy.php

It's a small handheld self-igniting torch for $9 and it runs dependably on the cheapest crap butane you buy. The torch flame is slightly larger than cheap smoking lighters, not huge. Lighters tend to be picky about fuel quality and need to be bled and such, this thing just plain works (and is occasionally useful for other stuff too).

Also these:
proxy.php

There are a few brands of this exact model with the only difference being color of the plastic and rubber bits. They are tolerant of fuel and filling imperfections and useful for lighting jar candles, fireplaces, and campfires. I found them at Walmart at the checkout line and in the camping department though I can't find them on Walmart's website. Home Depot shows them for $4:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-BZLTR200-Flex-Stem-Utility-Lighter-328643/203696836

And remember: The idea is to toast the end of the cigar, preferably without touching visible flame to it.

Whatever you do don't bite the end off. All you will accomplish is unraveling your cigar and eating tobacco. A really sharp razor blade should work fine, maybe even a double edge razor blade, if you don't have a cutter. But as mentioned your local cigar shop will sell cheap ones that work. Just get one of those to be safer.

Agreed, a DE blade should work well if you can hold it safely.

I've got a few Ronson jetlite torch lighters I got from Walgreens. I think it's like $5 works well and if anything ever happens I don't care much since they are so cheap

Wow these are great tips. Now I'm thirsty and want to enjoy those cigars. Toothpick glad to see I'm not the only one reheating old coffee.

A nice aged rum is nice because it has a decent sugar content naturally (re: nicotine in Tims post above). Also consider Iced Tea or cola. Apple Juice would work too. Citrus is nasty with a cigar.

When cutting the end, make sure you don't cut too much or it'll unravel. (don't cut up past the cap leaf.) Or consider a punch cutter -- my favorite -- it makes a hole in the end of the cigar. They can also be found at a cigar store for only a few bucks.
proxy.php

If you are going to be smoking around a fire, you'll look darn cool lighting your cigar by using a twig from the fire -- just be careful of the eyebrows!

Top Bottom