What's new

Johnny Walker double Black and JD Select single barrel.

I was given these two bottles as a birthday gift. I know the JW is Scotch and JD Whiskey my question; as someone who has not really drank any type of liquor which one should I start with? Or, are these even worth starting with? Should I go get something of better quality?

JD meaning Jack Daniels Single Barrel? Those are two very different whiskies of worthy quality. A fantastic way to start!

Open both, pour both. I think tasting two drams in the same sitting is a great way to get to know the flavors. The contrast helps. If you feel a lot of alcohol burn, pour a little water in to tame it and let the flavors come out.

Last edited:
Thanks for that bit of advice, silly that I would not have even thought of that. (the poring both bit)

Definitely do a small pour of each to see what you think. Add be VERY careful with the water. A little goes a long way here. Though YMMV.

JW is a blended scotch and is a reasonably good scotch, certainly worth trying. With scotch there are so many expressions and each has a different balance of the typical scotch attributes. Some like op it peaty/smokey, some don't. Some like the medicinal flavor, some don't. Some like sherry casks, some don't. You get the idea. You can spend years exploring the world of scotch to find up the perfect scotch for you - enjoy. Me, in a scotch, I like Talisker 10.

JDSB is, IMHO, the best of the JD expressions. It is a Tennesee whiskey, not a bourbon or rye. It can be mixed, but I prefer it neat. While I like the JDSB very much, I struggle with the value equation between it & old #7. The JDSB has a more refined flavor, but I am not sure it is worth 2.5x JD#7. I keep both on hand and when mixing always go for the #7. I am not a fan of Gentleman Jack - tastes far too astringent to me.

Both of the bottles you have are well worth trying. Enjoy them. As you near the end of the JDSB, you might want to get a 200 ml of JD#7 to compare it to. That plastic bottle can then be your "free" travel flask.

JD Single Barrel is excellent! :thumbup1:

JW Double Black is quite good and a worthwhile drink. But when you're done with it, I suggest trying the JW 12yr Black Label (not Double). All around a more preferable blended scotch at a better price point.

JD Single Barrel is excellent! :thumbup1:

JW Double Black is quite good and a worthwhile drink. But when you're done with it, I suggest trying the JW 12yr Black Label (not Double). All around a more preferable blended scotch at a better price point.

I can't comment first hand on the JDSB, but would concur with JW Black actually being as good or better than the Double Black, and cheaper to boot!

I was given these two bottles as a birthday gift. I know the JW is Scotch and JD Whiskey my question; as someone who has not really drank any type of liquor which one should I start with? Or, are these even worth starting with? Should I go get something of better quality?

LUCKY MAN!!! If you do not like, please send a PM.

Top Bottom