What's new

Inexpensive Summer or Citrus waters / eaus

I'm looking for some recommendations for some good Summer Splashes. The kind of thing one can use like a traditional eau de cologne as a light refresher to splash on during the day that has a nice light scent. Last summer I went through about a half a 750ml bottle of Agua Lavanda for this purpose. I expect that I'll need a similar amount this year.

Right now I'm considering 4711, Florida Water (Lanman & Kemp seems popular), or Agua Lavanda again. I'd love to hear some additional suggestions.

How inexpensive is inexpensive? My fragrance for summer bought today is Comme Des Garcon Cologne Series 4 Citrico which in the U.K. appears to be selling like the proverbial hot cakes and out of stock almost everywhere. Basically a complex mix of citrus and florals. In U.S.A. luckyscent.com who also offer a 0.7ml sample for $3. 125ml for $62 or 500ml splash for $95. But beware putting it in your bathroom cabinet: Women love it and love wearing it too. Cheaper than Dior :)

Cella 1897 Classica might be a option as well. Note that it's flowery with a citrus top note. Classic cologne scent.

How inexpensive is inexpensive? My fragrance for summer bought today is Comme Des Garcon Cologne Series 4 Citrico which in the U.K. appears to be selling like the proverbial hot cakes and out of stock almost everywhere. Basically a complex mix of citrus and florals. In U.S.A. luckyscent.com who also offer a 0.7ml sample for $3. 125ml for $62 or 500ml splash for $95. But beware putting it in your bathroom cabinet: Women love it and love wearing it too. Cheaper than Dior :)

What kind of longevity do you see from Citrico? I've frequently seen it stated as about 5 minutes. It sounds wonderful.

I was hoping for something more inline with the price of the other options. 750ml of Agua Lavanda is less than $15 shipped and lasts for 2-3 hours. I know 4711 & Florida Water probably last for an hour at most. 663ml of Florida Water is $12.50 shipped (and costs less in greater quantities). 4711 splash is about $4.00/100ml. I'm hoping for something in the under $25 for 500ml category.

The price is right on this!

I never tried anything in this category other than Florida Water. It's hard to beat for my $$.

I second the recommendation for Florida Water. It's very inexpensive and can be used liberally.

Florida Water is winning the vote count! I might blind buy both Florida Water & Nenuco Agua de Colonia.

Acqua Classica by Borsari Parma is my favorite and I prefer the EdC to the EdT. I have the 10 oz bottle with atomizer and while the atomizer leaves much to be desired (doesn't stay primed) I just bathe myself in it and immediately am transported to my happy place.

Eau de Rochas Homme would get my second place vote, but it doesn't seem to last as long nor does it transport me to paradise, but a very nice Citrus-forward scent in its own right.

I assume you mean Puig's Agua Lavanda. Arch. Brito's Lavanda is a bit more expensive, but absolutely wonderful.

Superior 70 bay rum, if you like bay rum. This one has very little tenacity.

I agree with Hoyt's and M&L Florida Water and 4711. 4711 makes a bunch of different flavors that are sold overseas. I would guess that the aftershave concentrations work for this purpose.

Pinaud's Eau de Portugal is labelled a hair tonic, but is a great aftershave or splash. Lightly scented.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Lucky Tiger is about 4x the price of Florida Water, but it sure is good stuff, and it has an orange zest/oil note that is fairly light and does not last long at all.

What kind of longevity do you see from Citrico? I've frequently seen it stated as about 5 minutes. It sounds wonderful.

I was hoping for something more inline with the price of the other options. 750ml of Agua Lavanda is less than $15 shipped and lasts for 2-3 hours. I know 4711 & Florida Water probably last for an hour at most. 663ml of Florida Water is $12.50 shipped (and costs less in greater quantities). 4711 splash is about $4.00/100ml. I'm hoping for something in the under $25 for 500ml category.

I don't know because I haven't received it yet probably around Wednesday next week. I don't really take very much notice of reviews. The 0.7ml sample I wore lasted a good few hours and had a favourable effect of the women around me. So much so that they asked about it. Going cheaper in my view would be Tabac Original or if you don't like the idea of tobacco which some people smell and others don't try Brut. Both classic "old guy" scents but hey I'm an old guy. Either or both would probably work in the evening in summer.

Pinaud Citrus musk , Stephans lime, masters lilac vegetol, Pinaud lilac vegetal. All nice and light.

I get the citrus, but not the bay rum description. My nose must work different from yours :wink2:
I've read that it should have a little clove. That is probably where the bay rum description comes from.

Set Sail St. Barts or give Mugler Cologne a try, both are really good and priced low.
Do you have a source for Mugler Cologne at a good price?

Pinaud Citrus musk , Stephans lime, masters lilac vegetol, Pinaud lilac vegetal. All nice and light.
I don't think I've ever heard of The Veg as being "nice and light."

I've had a sample of (Tommy Bahama) Set Sail St Barts around for a while. I wore it a few times and it didn't seem to work -- seemed kind of "perfumy", like the heavier basenotes were there but not the brighter citrus and agave topnotes . I tried it again this week for a few days, since it's been unseasonably warm (in the 80s). Wow, what a difference! It really seems to need a warmer ambient temperature to let the greens, tequila and salt come out and play. It's not as complex as say a Creed, but then I don't expect it to be at 1/5th the price. Still a very nice summer frag. I just ordered a full size bottle on Amazon.

I've read that it should have a little clove. That is probably where the bay rum description comes from.

Do you have a source for Mugler Cologne at a good price?

I don't think I've ever heard of The Veg as being "nice and light."

i find the veg to be a very light floral and green scent. I think it smells even better on warmer days, but I like lilac. If you are not a fan of lilac, you probably wouldn't like it, or the masters version.

Top Bottom