What's new

Likely a very dumb newbie question

Hey all,

I just received a shipment from 4noggins, and I have what I'm betting is a very dumb question...I got 2 tobaccos in flake form. How do I use it? I have no earthly idea.

I did warn you... :blushing:

Not a dumb question at all actually. It's one that comes up quiet often.

My suggestion is to rub out the flakes and fill your pipe as you would with ribbon cut for the first couple times. After that you can "fold and stuff". There is a video of Per from McBarens demonstrating this technique and also one from pipes magazine that are very good. Watch them and give it a go.

Depending on which flakes you have they may need some drying time prior to filling. What did you get?

Flakes are still baccy and although they take a bit of fiddling when you first start with them I've come to really enjoy the ritual of preparing flakes for smoking.

I almost forgot, you can also cube cut a flake. Take the flake and cross cut it to make little baccy cubes and gravity fill the pipe. You'd be best off rubbing a bit out to use as kindling to get the pipe going though.

Good luck and enjoy the new experience.

No such thing as a dumb question here. Driftwood hit the nail on the head.

Rubbing the flakes out is probably your best bet at first. What tobaccos did you get?

Thanks guys, here is what arrived today:
Balkan Sasieni: BALKAN
Solani: 656 AGED BURLEY FLAKE
Peter Stokkebye: LUXURY NAVY FLAKE
PRINCE ALBERT
Dunhill Bulk: EARLY MORNING PIPE

Oooh, looks like you got a very nice variety of baccy :thumbup1:

The Aged Burley Flake and the Luxury Navy Flake might need a little time before you pack them. You can rub it out (just rub it between your fingers until it looks like the bulk Early Morning Pipe consistency, and let it sit on a paper towel for 10-15 minutes. Then you can load it up any way you normally would.

Thanks Senshi! I'm going to try the Prince Albert tonite. I love it when there are presents in the mailbox!

Two things here:

I second the drying suggestion, I've had many a gurgly poor-burning bowl as a result of moist tobacco

If you do cube cut (paint scraping razors are great for this) don't cube too small. It makes it hard to get a proper draw.

Exactly no dumb question.

How to use a czech tool, not dumb.

What tobacco do I buy, not dumb.

How do I smoke a pipe, not dumb.

How do I cut a cigar, not dumb.

How do I pick out a disposable or cartridge razor, DUMB QUESTION :)

Prince albert is a wonderful smoke! As is the Luxury Navy Flake. You picked all wise tobaccos my friend, hope you enjoy and always remember, if someone says it's fantastic and you hate it - then hate it! That's the fun in pipe smoking. Everything is the best and the worst tobacco to two people. It's all quality stuff.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The Prince Albert is a good smoke...not as much fiddlin' and it burns well. I had some Carter Hall yesterday. And I'm about out of PA.

I was wondering about your order of flakes...my first one was 1792...some people say it has a fire retardant casing.

Rub out your flake at first.

Just got a bowl of NIghtcap going, ribbon cut, and it's not going good yet. Haven't tamped from the charring light yet though.

Oh, there it goes. Treat it like a fire, get it going and give it some air, but DO NOT puff too hard...tongue bite.

The main thing I got out of this vid. was using your fingers as a vent control on top of the pipe.

Oh, and there are no dumb questions...only dumb answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I am constantly amazed by the generosity of the gentlemen of this forum. I'm very grateful for the time each of you take to educate, encourage and respond.

Had a bowl of the PA, and I quite liked it. I've been doing a pretty good job, I think, at keeping the bowl going. Charring light, tamp, second light, and usually just the occasional tamp from there. I do have to say, the non-aro baccy are a very different smell. Got 5 different ones, and the kitchen smells odd. Not bad, just, different.

Anyway, a nice dinner, great DE shave, a good scotch, and a great bowl. All in all, a very civilized Tuesday if you ask me :)

Thanks Gentlemen, I truly do love this place!

Mike

Anyway, a nice dinner, great DE shave, a good scotch, and a great bowl. All in all, a very civilized Tuesday if you ask me :)

Thanks Gentlemen, I truly do love this place!

Mike

As I approach my thirties I look forward to many days with these simple pleasures.

When you said that you liked the PA I kind of squeaked out of happiness. Because I think you'll like the Solani ABF a lot more ;) Us burley fans gotta find each other and stick together.

Have you had the Balkan Sasieni yet? That stuff is great.

To rub out a flake, the easiest way is to put it between your hands and rub them together like you're trying to warm them on a cold day.

Top Bottom