What's new

Squirrel Be Gone

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The squirrels are everywhere. They're cute, put just plain pesky little creatures. The run all over my roof during the day moving from the front yard to the back yard. They wreak havoc on my squirrel proof bird feeders:lol:. Has anyone had any luck with one of these:

$owl.jpg$hawk.jpg

No, I can't shoot them being in a suburban area.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Might work for squirrels. But you need to move them every once in awhile or they start to figure it out.

That's what I was thinking. Possibly even use multiple birds. Our local supermarket uses them just outside their sliding doors...on top of a vending machine. Seems to work against sparrows making nests.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You could be like my Father in law who catches them in the Havaheart traps, gives them a stern lecture, then drowns them.

They work . . . to a point. Urban wildlife is quite adaptive, and they will figure it out. Likely before the paint fades on whichever statue you choose. Best solution is to keep things in good repair, and let the little buggers find a less vigilant neighbour's roof to shack up in. It's what I do.

Squirrel proof bird feeders? Bwahahahahaha . . .

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have an owl on my chimney, I am not sure if it is the owl or the spikes I put on it, but the squirrels leave it alone.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Cats...lots of cats. Mine will hunt down a squirrel in a heartbeat.

proxy.php

Oh, wait a minute...There was an old woman who swallowed a fly....

Just kidding. A potent airgun may be the way to go. I've heard that AirForce puts out some good ones. Might ask in the Shooting Sports section as there are some experienced airgun users there.

And squirrels are very tasty on the BBQ, in squirrel stew, etc.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I had a cat. That didn't work either. They just laughed at him.

I've got a 760 Pumpmaster pellet/BB gun. I've used it in the past. It's about as accurate as sling shot.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Phil...you are totally correct. :lol:

I've got a 760 Pumpmaster pellet/BB gun. I've used it in the past. It's about as accurate as sling shot.

Get a quality airgun...but I think they can be a bit expensive, compared to the regular ones we had as a kid. SWMBO bought me a Red Ryder as a joke a few years ago (I never had one as a kid, only the model '94 Daisy and Dad's old pump Daisy) and it is about as accurate as throwing rocks. It does a decent job on stray dogs out here though. I had to use .38 shot cartidges in my .357 to run off an old Tom cat that was hanging around. Whenever he shows back up from time to time he runs off real quick when he sees me. He doesn't hang around much anymore since being shot in the *** from about 10 yards.

Or you could complain to the City about the nuisance squirrels and have them send animal control out to trap them. Yeah, right.

Edit: And I have tried the owl, homemade scarecrow, shiny pieces of metal hanging from a string that makes noise, and other things to keep critters out of the vegetable garden, sparrows from nesting under the carport, etc. It didn't work.

Last edited:
I would stick with the BB or pellet gun. Those are fairly effective for dealing with some varmints. Growing up back east our cat was a tough old cat. One day he started showing up each morning with patches of fur missing and some signs of fighting. Our cat never came home looking like this before. If you are overly sensitive on animal abuse you may find my following solution to the problem rather unwelcome.

After a week of this I came home early one morning and hid in a corner of our back yard and stayed very quiet with my BB gun. I saw our cat walking through the yard when I suddenly saw a much larger feral (wild) cat following him. This larger feral cat looked very aggressive. Our cat eventually stopped and faced the larger feral cat. When the feral cat was getting to close to our cat I shot at the feral cat with my BB gun and hit it in the middle body which caused the larger feral to run off. This larger feral cat never returned to our property again. I'm sure the the BB "stung" the feral cat and it did run off without any injury. Our family cat also never came home again with chunks of fur missing or any additional injuries.

As much as I'm against animal cruelty what I did was something I do not regret. This was a wild feral cat who I'm sure was harming more than our cat. I'm still believe that what I did but it was a good thing.

Well, for me a BB gun solved the problem of a varmint in our back yard.

Last edited:
Squirrels are "cute"

BUT

The are also spreading deer ticks and dog ticks all around your property.

Get a "have a heart" trap and "remove/dispose" of them from your property.

proxy.php

Top Bottom