What's new

Squirrel Be Gone

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Now I'm really getting some action around my tube feeder with the smaller seed.

Both are finches. A Yellow Bellied Finch (pale yellow green belly) and one other that I can't identify. They both are the same size. The unidentified bird has a brilliant yellow belly with black on head, back and wings.

Buy this...
proxy.php

do this...

proxy.php

And enjoy this...

proxy.php

Its fool proof and works every single time...

It's quick, silent, and delicious.

Actually, I prefer them fried. But they are delicious.

Now I'm really getting some action around my tube feeder with the smaller seed.

Both are finches. A Yellow Bellied Finch (pale yellow green belly) and one other that I can't identify. They both are the same size. The unidentified bird has a brilliant yellow belly with black on head, back and wings.

The American goldfinch. They love niger thistle seed, and they are actually able to shell those small seeds with their bills. The one with the black cap is the male, and the paler one is the female, although the males are going through their plumage change from winter to summer, so it could be a male, too.

Don

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The American goldfinch. They love niger thistle seed, and they are actually able to shell those small seeds with their bills. The one with the black cap is the male, and the paler one is the female, although the males are going through their plumage change from winter to summer, so it could be a male, too.

Don

That helped a lot in identifying the male. The closest is the Lessor Goldfinch "Texas Form." All black head, neck, back and wings with white striping.

Thanks.

this is what he looks like:

$image.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that helped a lot in identifying the male. The closest is the Lessor Goldfinch "Texas Form." All black head, neck, back and wings with white striping.

Thanks.

this is what he looks like:

View attachment 569839

Whoa! I forgot where you were! Texas is kind of unique in its geographic location. You get western birds, eastern birds, and some from Mexico. My ID for you might be wrong.

Birds are cool. Squirrels are still jerks.

Don

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Whoa! I forgot where you were! Texas is kind of unique in its geographic location. You get western birds, eastern birds, and some from Mexico. My ID for you might be wrong.

Birds are cool. Squirrels are still jerks.

Don

But out when I looked up American Goldfinch, The Lessor Goldfinch came up too. Bingo! Thanks.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There was a huge rat hanging from my tube feeder yesterday. I told my wife to check it out. She said, "what is that?" I said it was a tree rat. She told all the girls at work and they believed her story. All but one. I had them all in a tezzy.

I just got a feeder at Lowes a few months back that squirrels can't get to. Its a tube that has little pegs for the birds to stand on. In addition to the tubes, the seed is dispensed through inset cavities. The cavities have little metal cages built in. Birds are literally flocking to the thing. I've seen a squirrel trying to hang on to get seed, but he couldn't get his hands inside the cavities. It tried for a few minutes, and gave up. Bigger birds can't stand on the pegs either. They scavenge stuff from the ground that the smaller birds drop.

I am looking for strategy to get rid of Groundhogs though. I'm inside city limits, so guns are not really an option.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just got a feeder at Lowes a few months back that squirrels can't get to. Its a tube that has little pegs for the birds to stand on. In addition to the tubes, the seed is dispensed through inset cavities. The cavities have little metal cages built in. Birds are literally flocking to the thing. I've seen a squirrel trying to hang on to get seed, but he couldn't get his hands inside the cavities. It tried for a few minutes, and gave up. Bigger birds can't stand on the pegs either. They scavenge stuff from the ground that the smaller birds drop.

I am looking for strategy to get rid of Groundhogs though. I'm inside city limits, so guns are not really an option.

I need to to check that feeder out over at Lowes.

Squirrels. When I hunt them legally during the season they are nowhere to be found in the wild. They all moved to town to enjoy our leftovers. Watch the movie 'Over the Hedge' for details.

A good quality .22 rimfire with CB caps is good medicine but likely too much for residential areas. If you get a rifle that shoots them well they are QUIET medicine. The pump up air rifles are really quite good with the correct pellets. We had a Daisy 880 model dozens of years ago and it would put five pellets into a half inch at 25-35 yards with an el cheapo .22 rimfire scope on it. I think you will find that with BBs these guns are more like shoot-and-hope. The steel BBs are hard on the bore. And usually any of them needs to be 'shot in'. Run about 100-500 pellets through one and then check accuracy. I was astounded at how accurate it really was. For $45. One thing to keep in mind. When you store the pump up pneumatics, keep one or two pumps of air in them. I forgot this with the Daisy and when I picked it up much later it would not hold an air charge. I had no idea how to fix it so it wen the way of the dodo. The newer Daisy and Crossman 760 we have are stored with a slight charge of two pumps in them now. BTW, squirrels are game animals in most states so check seasons. However, there have those few who dared to be too adventurous who disappeared mysteriously...

As an aside, watch for the occasional charge from an enraged male. The only solution then is a proper English double rifle, Holland & Holland please. Chambered for .470 Nitro Express with full metal patch 500gr solids I should think. It may require more than one round and the second barrel comes in handy for the heavy stuff.

Just started birdwatching, unemployment is boring. :) So far the tree rats haven't gotten my new feeder setup but I think it's time to dig out the pellet guns. Thankfully I have plenty of woods behind my feeders.

I don't own real firearms...sniffle...

-Stephen

Squirrels. When I hunt them legally during the season they are nowhere to be found in the wild. They all moved to town to enjoy our leftovers. Watch the movie 'Over the Hedge' for details.

A good quality .22 rimfire with CB caps is good medicine but likely too much for residential areas. If you get a rifle that shoots them well they are QUIET medicine. The pump up air rifles are really quite good with the correct pellets. We had a Daisy 880 model dozens of years ago and it would put five pellets into a half inch at 25-35 yards with an el cheapo .22 rimfire scope on it. I think you will find that with BBs these guns are more like shoot-and-hope. The steel BBs are hard on the bore. And usually any of them needs to be 'shot in'. Run about 100-500 pellets through one and then check accuracy. I was astounded at how accurate it really was. For $45. One thing to keep in mind. When you store the pump up pneumatics, keep one or two pumps of air in them. I forgot this with the Daisy and when I picked it up much later it would not hold an air charge. I had no idea how to fix it so it wen the way of the dodo. The newer Daisy and Crossman 760 we have are stored with a slight charge of two pumps in them now. BTW, squirrels are game animals in most states so check seasons. However, there have those few who dared to be too adventurous who disappeared mysteriously...

As an aside, watch for the occasional charge from an enraged male. The only solution then is a proper English double rifle, Holland & Holland please. Chambered for .470 Nitro Express with full metal patch 500gr solids I should think. It may require more than one round and the second barrel comes in handy for the heavy stuff.

Aaron, I saw the thread title first and then your name next to it and, frankly was concerned that you were taking the mess hall in a new direction.

$Rocky.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Aaron, I saw the thread title first and then your name next to it and, frankly was concerned that you were taking the mess hall in a new direction.

Bob, I thought I would be kicked out of the Mess Hall if I tried to post a squirrel recipe. Over here....these guys eat anything.

Top Bottom