What's new

Squirrel Be Gone

I used to have an Alaskan Malamute that was death on squirrels. Think of an 85 pound cat and you would have the right picture. She'd even bring them up and lay them on the porch as trophies.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh yeah, my Siberian Husky was REAL good at getting rid of small, pesky varmints.

I miss her. Smartest, sweetest, most beautiful dog I think I've ever owned...well, she owned me though.

profilepic27468_1.gif

I suspect that you have a non specific feeder and are purchasing cheap feed such as cracked corn or sunflower seed dumped into a trough feeder. I don't think you will ever get rid of squirrels since you live in a suburban area and even if you have a feeder and feed that is designed for something like the goldfinch it will be cancelled out by your neighbors sparrow factory and squirrel magnet.

Squirrels are jerks. I've been saying that for years.

My bird feeders are relatively squirrel-proof, mounted on poles with squirrel baffles and away from trees, but they keep trying. I've had to prune some branches that I never thought could be used as a quick way on to my feeders, but someone in that gang of rodents in my backyard had figured out.

I'd like to knock them off, too, but I have neighbors who I appreciate.

Don

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh Nuts !

Thats got to smart.....ouch!!!

I suspect that you have a non specific feeder and are purchasing cheap feed such as cracked corn or sunflower seed dumped into a trough feeder. I don't think you will ever get rid of squirrels since you live in a suburban area and even if you have a feeder and feed that is designed for something like the goldfinch it will be cancelled out by your neighbors sparrow factory and squirrel magnet.

Im hanging Nyjer seed right now.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Also, those of us that live in the South have to contend with the Roof Rats as well. Its a rat who thinks its a Squirrel.

If they are after Nyjer seed you may have a high reproductive cycle and at this point you have three options with your limitations. Wait until the population is stable, live trap with peanut butter on the trigger and relocate or rat trap with peanut butter.

You do understand that a bird of prey is perceived by the squirrel as an enemy and that a songbird will as well.

Fox urine has worked for people I've known in the past. You can set out poison but squirrels are pretty smart and they can learn to detect poison much like they can eventually tell a scarecrow. Some states its against the law to kill squirrels yourself, and even setting out posion is not going to solve your problem 100%. I'm not an animal rights activist ,but I do believe if your going to kill an animal it's yout responsibility to do it the most humane way and take the suffering and guess work out of it, so a chat with a professional may be in order. However I can vouch for the fox urine. It works.

At $15.00 or more for fox urine he can buy more bird seed. Care to guess what a "professional" would cost him for eradication?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If they are after Nyjer seed you may have a high reproductive cycle and at this point you have three options with your limitations. Wait until the population is stable, live trap with peanut butter on the trigger and relocate or rat trap with peanut butter.

You do understand that a bird of prey is perceived by the squirrel as an enemy and that a songbird will as well.
I was just going to set it up the owl in the neighbors yard while he's at work.

Last edited:
At $15.00 or more for fox urine he can buy more bird seed. Care to guess what a "professional" would cost him for eradication?

I had grandparents who let me kill as many squirrels as I wanted growing up, because my grandmother wanted them out of her feeders. I've shot more squirrels than I can count and never made a dent in the population. Also yes I have an uncle who is an exterminator so I know what they charge.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well the neighbors seed ran out one week ago, so the dove and squirrels are few and far between now. At the same time the neighbors bad seed choice ran out I put Nyjer seed in my two feeders. I saw a Bell's Vireo just eating away on my feeder this morning. He's got a pale yellow chest and head, dark eyes and two strips on his wings. Yeehaw!!

To be continued....

Well the neighbors seed ran out one week ago, so the dove and squirrels are few and far between now. At the same time the neighbors bad seed choice ran out I put Nyjer seed in my two feeders. I saw a Bell's Vireo just eating away on my feeder this morning. He's got a pale yellow chest and head, dark eyes and two strips on his wings. Yeehaw!!

To be continued....

Out of curiosity, have you mentioned to the neighbors that certain seed types don't attract squirrels?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Teppy, I spoke too soon. The neighbor refilled his big arse feeder with crap seed. Yep the squirrels are back. A consolation prize to me though...the Bell's Vireo is ignoring what's going on on the other side of the fence. He keeps coming back for more on my side.

Teppy, I spoke too soon. The neighbor refilled his big arse feeder with crap seed. Yep the squirrels are back. A consolation prize to me though...the Bell's Vireo is ignoring what's going on on the other side of the fence. He keeps coming back for more on my side.

Argh . . . I assume tactically replacing his birdseed with better birdseed isn't really legal . . .

Top Bottom