What's new

Need help on selecting Running shoes. .

Hi there!

This is what I would do:

1. Determine what type of running foot do you have. Follow the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type;

2. Hit one of the best sport store in your area and look for those running shoes that have the sole made especially for your type;

3. Ask yourself how much do you want to spend on a good running shoes;

4. Do not buy cheap running shoes, they will hurt your legs in time.
Thank you for the link.

Hi there!

This is what I would do:

1. Determine what type of running foot do you have. Follow the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type;

2. Hit one of the best sport store in your area and look for those running shoes that have the sole made especially for your type;

3. Ask yourself how much do you want to spend on a good running shoes;

4. Do not buy cheap running shoes, they will hurt your legs in time.

While the general guides on sites and in publications like this link from runner's world often times can give you an idea, they are to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm a perfect example of an exception to the "wet foot test." I have a lower arch which by this guide, I would need a heavily posted shoe. That is not correct as I am neutral. Futher, I found another tool on Runner's world which recommends shoes for you based upon your inputs. Not only do I see shoes that are less than Ideal, it seems like they are only suggesting certain brands, which I would bet are the ones taking out full page ads in their magazine. Again, take these guides with a grain of salt.

This isn't rocket science but it is very helpful to stop in at a specialty running store to be fitted. It literally takes a minute or two for them to tell you what type of shoe you need. They also have the resources available to provide you with several pair of shoes to try on, all of which would be "the right shoe." The people at these stores do this all day every day and talking with them takes the guesswork out of the equation. I bet that even Runner's World would recommend this as well. I will say that if you do not have access to a decent running specialty store, then these guides are better than randomly choosing a shoe.

I actually got into barefoot running shoes a few years ago. The toe-shoes are great and so are some others like Merrell and Vivobarefoot. It takes a long time to build up the foot strength to run a few miles, but once you do, it's awesome. There is a great website with info at birthdayshoes.com (I'm not associated with them at all, just a big fan). Also, if you haven't already done so, read Born to Run. It's fantastic
^This!

I was never sporty but two years ago at a mature thirty something I got inspired and started running. Luckily I had a very knowledgeable colleague in all things exercise and he'd suggest to try the barefoot toe-shoes, Vibram fivefingers. I was sceptic and did what has been suggested here many times and went to a sports store to try some shoes and after they made a video of me, total newbie runner, running barefeet on treadmill, I was sold some Adidas with full heel support etc. I ran with them for six months and I was usually in some kind of pain.

Then I read "Born to run" and talked again with my colleague and he finally sold me barefoot running with this thought: Who has more experience in _how_ to run, the human race collectively throughout the history, or Nike marketing department?

I came across a good deal on the Vibram five fingers toe-shoes and bought them. Initially felt very clumsy but as I was new to running I had not too many bad habits to unlearn. Heel strike converted into a mid-foot strike and my runs started getting longer and longer.

Knee pain - gone
Ankle pain - gone
Shin splints - only when distance is above my limits

Two years into my new sporty lifestyle and I now own two pairs of Vibram FiveFingers as well as one pair of Merrel Road Glove minimal shoes. The above mentioned Adidas with full support I use only for tennis, never outdoor or treadmill running anymore.

Naturally everyone can run with whatever they feel comfortable but if someone out there is experiencing pain or discomfort, I'd highly recommend to have an open mind and give it a go.

^This!

I was never sporty but two years ago at a mature thirty something I got inspired and started running. Luckily I had a very knowledgeable colleague in all things exercise and he'd suggest to try the barefoot toe-shoes, Vibram fivefingers. I was sceptic and did what has been suggested here many times and went to a sports store to try some shoes and after they made a video of me, total newbie runner, running barefeet on treadmill, I was sold some Adidas with full heel support etc. I ran with them for six months and I was usually in some kind of pain.

Then I read "Born to run" and talked again with my colleague and he finally sold me barefoot running with this thought: Who has more experience in _how_ to run, the human race collectively throughout the history, or Nike marketing department?

I came across a good deal on the Vibram five fingers toe-shoes and bought them. Initially felt very clumsy but as I was new to running I had not too many bad habits to unlearn. Heel strike converted into a mid-foot strike and my runs started getting longer and longer.

Knee pain - gone
Ankle pain - gone
Shin splints - only when distance is above my limits

Two years into my new sporty lifestyle and I now own two pairs of Vibram FiveFingers as well as one pair of Merrel Road Glove minimal shoes. The above mentioned Adidas with full support I use only for tennis, never outdoor or treadmill running anymore.

Naturally everyone can run with whatever they feel comfortable but if someone out there is experiencing pain or discomfort, I'd highly recommend to have an open mind and give it a go.

Good stuff! That's great that things are working out for you! I would be concerned though, that you feel shin splints from a single longer run. If you're reasonably well conditioned, you shouldnt experience shin splints from simply running a bit longer than normal once in a while. how long are we talking "above your limits" and what does your normal week of runs consist of? Often times, the stress on your lower legs can be relieved by using a supportive shoe. You might consider trying the supportive shoes for a longer run to see if that helps - though, I'm sure the ones you have are beat after a couple years of cross training. They won't do much good - if any - at this point. The support and the cushioning break down far sooner than the upper or the outsole.

To your friend's convincing argument about history and barefoot running, I would counter that there have been some rather profound technological advances since the stone age. Some of those advances would apply to running, and footwear. :) That said, I have seen and raced against a handful of barefoot runners in my day. It's always interesting to me, but not enough to try it seriously. I've run a couple barefoot miles on the beach and have done some barefoot strides in college, but outside of that... it's just not for me.

I'm jumping around a bit here; but just some clarification regarding support... there has always been some ambiguity about "support" in a running shoe. When speaking of a running shoe, "support" refers to arch support. Arch support is acheived through some sort of medial posting through the midsole of the shoe. On a supportive running shoe, you'll typically see dual desnsity midsole, where the material under your arch would be more dense than the rest of the cutioned midsole. You will often see a rigid post as well. What this positing does is push up against your collapsing arch, supporting it, through your foot strike.

Often times, people feel that a shoe is supportive when the upper hugs or conforms to your foot, or holds your heel in place. I would argue that this is simply the fit of the shoe and in the context of a running shoe, it is not "support". Others might wear a high top sneaker for cross training or basketball, which might provide ankle support, but again, in the context of running shoes, this doesnt apply.

All good suggestions here. The only thing I would add is to bring an old pair of athletic shoes with you to the running store, so the staff can easily identify the wear pattern.

Good stuff! That's great that things are working out for you! I would be concerned though, that you feel shin splints from a single longer run. If you're reasonably well conditioned, you shouldnt experience shin splints from simply running a bit longer than normal once in a while. how long are we talking "above your limits" and what does your normal week of runs consist of? Often times, the stress on your lower legs can be relieved by using a supportive shoe. You might consider trying the supportive shoes for a longer run to see if that helps - though, I'm sure the ones you have are beat after a couple years of cross training. They won't do much good - if any - at this point. The support and the cushioning break down far sooner than the upper or the outsole.

To your friend's convincing argument about history and barefoot running, I would counter that there have been some rather profound technological advances since the stone age. Some of those advances would apply to running, and footwear. :) That said, I have seen and raced against a handful of barefoot runners in my day. It's always interesting to me, but not enough to try it seriously. I've run a couple barefoot miles on the beach and have done some barefoot strides in college, but outside of that... it's just not for me.

I'm jumping around a bit here; but just some clarification regarding support... there has always been some ambiguity about "support" in a running shoe. When speaking of a running shoe, "support" refers to arch support. Arch support is acheived through some sort of medial posting through the midsole of the shoe. On a supportive running shoe, you'll typically see dual desnsity midsole, where the material under your arch would be more dense than the rest of the cutioned midsole. You will often see a rigid post as well. What this positing does is push up against your collapsing arch, supporting it, through your foot strike.

Often times, people feel that a shoe is supportive when the upper hugs or conforms to your foot, or holds your heel in place. I would argue that this is simply the fit of the shoe and in the context of a running shoe, it is not "support". Others might wear a high top sneaker for cross training or basketball, which might provide ankle support, but again, in the context of running shoes, this doesnt apply.

I wouldn't call myself well conditioned, I run 4..5k once a week tops. The long runs I was referring to are 10k+ that has happened maybe twice during the past year. I guess I am not a sucker for mileage (yet), I just enjoy the feeling of physical exhaustion and the good appetite and sleep afterwards :)

Maybe it's misleading to call minimalistic shoes "barefoot" running as technically it's not that.

I agree to your point about "support" and that it's not only good fit. Maybe I indeed should give a proper shoe a try. I don't like the ones I have, they are my first and only "support" shoes, and I feel that my whole feet is too much elevated from the ground and more so on the heel. They're Adidas Supernova Sequence 6.

You guys gave some superb and insightful advice. ...I went with the Nike Initiators just bucks
$888871b2ef525cbb994da22456e0760a.jpg

Top Bottom