What's new

Rocket Stove

Does anyone here use a rocket stove? I've been reading up on them and I'm really interested. I built one with some spare bricks I found, but they're chipped and they don't make a good seal. I'm going to get some fire bricks today and build it right. If it works out, I'm going to talk to the local welding shop and see about getting them make one for me.

If you're unfamiliar, it's a small stove that uses very small fuel (sticks and very small fire logs) to cook. There is a lot of information available online.

Just requested a quote from a local metal fab shop. It isn't hard to build at all. A metal version is just one piece of square metal tubing cut at 45 degree angles, welded together at a 90 degree angle, a piece of flat iron welded in the bottom channel an inch off the bottom, and a couple pieces of metal at the top to elevate the pan. Being a (former) licensed welder, I could cut and make it in less than an hour, but I don't have access to a welder myself.

I saw one being used on one of those "off the grid" TV shows, I forget which one. It really was pretty neat, interesting idea. I'll be watching to see where this thread goes.

I have spent a lot of time reading about them and watching YouTube videos on them. There are camping sized commercial ones available but not really commercial ones for your home.

Maybe I will try to find someone local who can build me one. I am not handy myself.

I have a $6 cinder block version I slapped together in a few minutes, just stacked the bricks. Works remarkably well. Smaller twigs actually work better than thicker small branches. Matching fuel to air ratios I suppose.

$image.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the same concept as those "as seen ON TV!!!" stoves from back in the day that ran off of crumpled newspaper? IIRC they telescoped up in a sort of funnel shape. Sister had one, used it on her plastic patio table. Hilarious melting ensured :p

I have a $6 cinder block version I slapped together in a few minutes, just stacked the bricks. Works remarkably well. Smaller twigs actually work better than thicker small branches. Matching fuel to air ratios I suppose.

View attachment 566706

So I'm assuming you knocked the end out of the middle block?

Edit: I looked online and see the H block. Nice. There's an easy $10 worth of survival insurance!

Last edited:
It's not even my design, found it online. There are the simple (mine) up through complex pizza/bread ovens and/or smoker combos to be seen all over the web. As well as indoor home heating systems.

I made a couple stoves from designs from the internet and they were all good, but I wanted something I could use a lot and bricks and cinder blocks are great for impromptu fires but they don't last. I priced making one with fire bricks, but it wasn't much cheaper than buying one. I ended up buying an Ecozoom rocket stove. Long story short, It's awesome. I cooked chicken and vegetables tonight with a handful of twigs from my yard.

I still want to make my own, but that'll have to wait a few weeks.

If you're on the fence about a camping stove or just another way to cook outside, it's really amazing.

We're also looking into possibly building a rocket mass heater for the house this summer.

I got one of the EnviroFit stoves a while back after seeing the YouTube videos. I wanted it for camping. A lot of the time around here you can get buy with burning wood in a stove during a burn ban when you can't have a camp fire.

..I ended up buying an Ecozoom rocket stove. Long story short, It's awesome. I cooked chicken and vegetables tonight with a handful of twigs from my yard..
Did you use cast iron for cooking? These stoves do look interesting. Recently there was a related thread in The Cafe' about Coffee for Camping which touched on Kelly Kettles which operate on a similar principle.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This reminds me of a Swedish fire log candle. If I have a chance I'd like to try cooking on one this summer.

Top Bottom