What's new

What should my next ink be?

Once payday comes, I’m looking to pick up a new bottle of ink. So far All that I’ve had the chance to use is noodlers “Black” and I’m hoping to pick up a new purple ink. The only problem is I’m not sure which brand I should try, or if it really matters that much. I’ve heard good things about the diamine and pilot iroshizuku, but I’m not dead set on these brands. I was thinking purple mostly due to the fact that my girlfriends favorite color is purple, and I would like to send her a few letters in a color I know she likes.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Anyone want to share experiences? Anything to avoid? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance for any help.

Legion

Staff member
Not really super purple, but my go to ink is Noodler's Black Swan in Australian roses. Kind of fancy, but still masculine.

If you want to go purple, I dont mind Waterman's, but it is still a little... for a bloke, I mean.

BSIAR is like a very dark red.

Last edited:
Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosia is a dusty purple colour which I prefer for work. Its a very well behaved ink, but its worth noting that this is an iron gall ink.

Why not try some samples from Goulet Pens (or other sites)? Sampling is a great way to get several different brands and avoid ending up with 50-80 ml of ink that you may not like.

Why not try some samples from Goulet Pens (or other sites)? Sampling is a great way to get several different brands and avoid ending up with 50-80 ml of ink that you may not like.
I highly recommend ordering a few samples before committing to a full-bottle purchase. I've regretted a couple of purchases and wish I would have gone the sample route first!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Samples is a good way to go. Also I really like Black Swan in Australian Roses, it's color seems variable, some times purplish, sometimes not so much.

UFgoodies pm me, I have a bottle of the black swan that I really did not like as I'm more black or blue, it was a gift to me and I'd like to PIF to you Look at the color swab from goulet and let me know if you're interested.

I like Sailor "Jentle" inks. Shigure is a nice very dark purple. Doyou is a dark brown, and Tokiwa Matsu an attractive green. These aren't the cheapest line of inks, of course.

I love purple inks. I did find a reference page on another blogging website devoted to FP's that listed 60 different purple inks as splashes and what they look like writing-wise.

Bright purple? PR Purple Mojo or Noodler's North African Violet (NAV can stain, so beware if it's a demonstrator FP)

Dusty purple? Maybe Diamine Amazing Amethyst

Reddish purple? Herbin's Poussiere de Lune or De Atramentis Alex Hamilton (Alex Hamilton is nice and dark even in a fine point, which I love. Poussiere shades nicely)

Blurple (bluish purple)? Diamine Bilberry

Samples of Black Swan in Australian Roses is also a nice option. The old formulation was a reddish, winey cast. the newer is a more magenta-ish color.

Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosia is a dusty purple colour which I prefer for work. Its a very well behaved ink, but its worth noting that this is an iron gall ink.
R&K Scabiosa is an excellent ink. Goes on as a medium purple and dries to a dark purple...conservative enough for office use, but still has character. Don't be scared off by the fact that it's an iron gall ink. Normal, routine maintenance is all that's needed. Just don't let it sit in a pen for months without use, and clean your pen thoroughly before switching to a different ink.

proxy.php

wow, those all look like great options! it's amazing how many options there are for "purple." I've been looking around for a while, and the number of them that i missed is fairly amazing. A few of them are brands that i've been looking at picking up, and a few are kinds i've just never found.

Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosia is a great looking ink, however "Don't be scared off by the fact that it's an iron gall ink. Normal, routine maintenance is all that's needed." makes me curious. I've never looking into what exactly Iron Gall ink is (another squirrel trail i'll have to take) but when you say routine maintenance, and thurough cleaning does this just mean that you need to sufficiently flush with water when switching inks? Are there certain pens they should be avoided with?

wow, those all look like great options! it's amazing how many options there are for "purple." I've been looking around for a while, and the number of them that i missed is fairly amazing. A few of them are brands that i've been looking at picking up, and a few are kinds i've just never found.

Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosia is a great looking ink, however "Don't be scared off by the fact that it's an iron gall ink. Normal, routine maintenance is all that's needed." makes me curious. I've never looking into what exactly Iron Gall ink is (another squirrel trail i'll have to take) but when you say routine maintenance, and thurough cleaning does this just mean that you need to sufficiently flush with water when switching inks? Are there certain pens they should be avoided with?
Modern, commercial iron gall inks don't require a lot of extra work. A good flushing when switching ink (or after every few refills) is recommended. And don't let it sit for months in a pen that's not being used regularly. Of course, you should do the same for any pen, regardless of the ink.

There's no reason you can't use an iron gall ink in any pen.

Top Bottom