What's new

Can I use Brasso to paste a strop?

Question is in the title. What happens if I paste my strop with metal Polish in lieu of diamond paste or chromium oxide? I believe the polishing agent is silica (sand/glass)

Last edited:
Try it on a scrap piece of leather first.
Ive tried Wenol and Simichrome - neither did anything special for me.

I agree with Gamma to try on a test piece of leather first. The problem may not be the polishing agents, but the solution, be it exceedingly acid or alkaline rather than neutral. Also depends on the strop. Vegetable-tanned leather belting for industrial purposes can be sanded to 120x-220x to create a bit of nap, then charged with red or black ferric oxide, or whatever else tickles your fancy.

Legion

Staff member
My feeling would be that the particle size would be too high, and inconsistent. But it is just a feeling, it could be worth a shot.

Tested on a cheap flea market strop. I put a quarter sized amount on a paper towel and then rubbed it into the smooth side of the strop. Gave my razor about 15 trips back and forth. Well, it works, no ill results and a good shave. Even used the razor to edge my hairline. However, if you have proper strop paste, I see no reason, especially since I have no idea of the pH, and therefore the longterm effects on a good strop. Strop paste isn't expensive anyway, I just wanted to see if it would work.

Why??? I believe in using products for their designed purpose. Brasso is a brass polish. I would use strop paste, but YMMV.

Why??? I believe in using products for their designed purpose. Brasso is a brass polish. I would use strop paste, but YMMV.

Curiosity mostly. Just wanted to see what can work in a pinch. It won't hurt anything but a cheap strop. And I use brasso to polish my vintage razors (straight and safety) whenever i get a new one, so I had some on hand. I figured as long as it doesn't damage a good strop, there is no harm.

Curiosity mostly. Just wanted to see what can work in a pinch. It won't hurt anything but a cheap strop. And I use brasso to polish my vintage razors (straight and safety) whenever i get a new one, so I had some on hand. I figured as long as it doesn't damage a good strop, there is no harm.
Very interesting! Brasso is in plentiful supply here.

I've had superb results stropping on Elsterglanz, but the Brasso certainly smells like it's got solvents in it, so maybe use it on balsa or felt?

And I wonder what the particle size is for Brasso? Elsterglanz is finer than chromox.

Last edited:
Very interesting! Brasso is in plentiful supply here.

I've had superb results stropping on Elsterglanz, but the Brasso certainly smells like it's got solvents in it, so maybe use it on balsa or felt?

And I wonder what the particle size is for Brasso? Elsterglanz is finer than chromox.

I think your Brasso is a different formula however. They reformulated US brasso a few years ago. But in reality, brasso really isn't much cheaper than Chromium Oxide paste anyway.

Top Bottom