What's new

Recommended Replating Services?

I've recently acquired some pre-war Gillette Techs and two or three of them are in need of a little replating TLC. Not any real major wear or damage, but they would certainly look all purdy and shiney-like with a new coat. :tongue_sm

My number one choice is RazorPlate. I've heard wonderful things and seen amazing work coming from Chris, but he doesn't seem to be taking on any new projects at the moment due to the immense amount of work, his notoriety and skill have brought him. :biggrin1:

How is Razor Emporium? The only Google reviews I could find were pretty bad and I've even found a few threads from the archives of B&B, stating how shoddy the work can be. I'll wait until I hear some further, up-to-date feedback, but at this point, I think I'll steer clear of them.

Does anyone have any recommendations that aren't overpriced and can provide quality work? I'm not looking for the cheapest out there. I'm willing to pay if the work is quality enough. I just didn't want to get ripped off by a shady company that uses third party, sub-contractors that can't stand behind their work.

I'm thinking of making two or three little gift sets for my brother, father-in-law, and brother-in-law for the upcoming Christmas season. Really personalize them for each person though.

Thanks, B&B!

Search Emporium on here if you want more horror stories.
However, if Chris is the nocutsnonicks guy from here, then I think options might be very limited.

Have you tried Maas polish? :)

JMJ -

I have personally used Razor Emporium and I had good results. They were quick and my razor looked good.

I also did not do my due diligence and check up on them first (google or using this forum) so I didn't know the horror stories until after I had done business with them.

YBIC
Mike

I have personally used Razor Emporium and I had good results. They were quick and my razor looked good.

I also did not do my due diligence and check up on them first (google or using this forum) so I didn't know the horror stories until after I had done business with them.
I have also used them once without due diligence.

My Fatboy became a year younger in the process, but they did not charge anything extra for this miracle. :tongue_sm

They do know their legal framework. When I complained they remarked that a Fatboy is a Fatboy and that I have no consumer rights against them from Sweden. :mad3:

I have used Razor Emporium, and Razorplate.com. I have had better customer service and attention to detail with Razorplate.com.

My Fatboy became a year younger in the process, but they did not charge anything extra for this miracle. :tongue_sm

They do know their legal framework. When I complained they remarked that a Fatboy is a Fatboy and that I have no consumer rights against them from Sweden. :mad3:

No consumer rights...

And what about contractual rights?:mad3:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I recommend just hanging in there and waiting for Chris E. at RazorPlate to clear his backlog. Your razors will appreciate it. They've waited this long. They'll be happy to wait a little longer!

I haven't used any of them, so my opinion has no experience backing it, but I have looked around to have a razor replated and it looks like RazorPlate is the way to go. There is a lot of bad news about Razor Emporium.

The is was my last lot gotten back from Chris at razorplate. One had a small issue and it was sent back, but returned in less than 5 days from being sent. A+ work and A+ service and A+ making things right.
I'm going to only Chris from now on.
$Group Photo.JPG

A NOS Tech can be bought for less than the cost of a replating job. And unless your doing something like a monogrammed handle, or a rose gold or rhodium plate, I just don't see the point.
Tech razors are great razors but they will likely never be worth a great deal of money. And thus finding three pristine Techs in original condition will likely cost less that getting two whole razors replated.
But if you are firmly set on it then Razorplate.com is the only way to go.
i have a replated NEW that was well worth the price paid.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Well, I'll be definitely skipping Razor Emporium, that's for sure.

Right now, it is a toss-up between waiting for Chris or trying out Nick from Sport Shaving. Both have received excellent reviews, so I'll have to think about it.

It's no real rush, I'd just like to know I have options available. :thumbup1:

JMJ -

Sorry to hear your issue, that would make me very upset. That was the issue I had heard from another member, but luckily I got my original razor back.

In the future, I will probably use Razorplate.

YBIC
Mike

If you haven't already I would contact Chris and see if he has a waiting list. If you don't mind waiting Chris (and his work) is definitely worth the wait.

imcndn

Top Bottom