What's new

Suggest a camera that's good to travel with

I will be going on my honeymoon in early June and am interested in picking up a camera for our trip. I have a bulky digital SLR but really would rather skip bringing that along. I hardly use it these days anyway and it's a bit advanced for my style of photography.

I'm looking for something small, without any attachments except maybe a small tripod. We will be doing lots of hiking so lightweight would be a nice option, but I'm also not looking for a really basic digital camera.
I had my eye on the Olympus PEN range of cameras. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'd like to keep the price range down to around $400 or less.
Thanks!
-Gareth

TBH if you have a newer smart phone, I.E. an Iphone 6, galaxy 5, ect. then you have a camera that is equal to or superior to most point and shoots. for people who as me about cameras i say use your phone, then look at mirrorless systems then DSLRs

I had a canon G15 before, which is an excellent little camera. There are now 16 and 17 models, all are great but the 16 is in your price bracket.

PEN is an excellent way to go if your going to invest in some lenses. They have some excellent glass...you can also use Panasonic lenses (or buy a Panasonic body and use Olympus glass).

I usually shoot with a DSLR but for travel when I dont want to drag my big bulky camera around, I take an advanced point and shoot. I have an Olympus XZ1 that has f1.8 lens and offers full manual mode and RAW shooting. You can pick one up used for around $160 bucks. Sounds like it could be a good option for you.
https://www.keh.com/351055/olympus-xz-1-black-digital-camera-10-m-p

If you want try something without interchangeable lenses, check out the Sony RX100. I tried one out a few months ago and was pretty impressed. They're up to model III, so the model II can still be had for $400ish.

Top Bottom