What's new

Vintage razor ID: advanced level

This is another one of those "what did I buy?" threads, but it doesn't involve a pre-war Tech or Superspeed.

This razor came from France, had a French-made Gillette blade in it (V-2), and kinda looks French to me. So, my guess is that it was made in France.
Someone really loved this razor, as it has seen quite a lot of use. Much of the plating is gone, but it is solid brass construction.
Neither the razor nor the bakelite box has any markings of any kind. The case, however, seems to be original, since it has a picture of the razor on the cover.
The obvious guess is that someone made a knock-off razor that looks a bit like some of the Leresche models. I got that far myself. I'm hoping that someone can chime in with actual facts or at least guesswork that is better than mine.:001_smile

$IMG_0708[1].jpg$IMG_0706[1].jpg$IMG_0707[1].jpg

Whenever I see that picture on a case I think Germany, not France. Of course I might be wrong, but I've seen it on quite a few different cases, generally from Germany. Here's an example with a bakelite slant:

proxy.php

And this is an Apollo slant:

proxy.php

I'll let you know if I find some reliable info, since I'm just guessing based on what I usually see out there. Nice razor btw.

Last edited:
Here's the exact same case as seen above, with the Golf brand (Germany):

proxy.php

Here's a case exactly like yours, with a bakelite razor from Germany:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think this last one is a mismatch, but all these cases seem to come from Germany.

Generic cases that came with the billions of unbranded razors made in Germany? :lol:

The two things I was sure were true might be not true: the case was made for the razor and the razor is French.
OK, so the case might be generic German, but I still think the razor is French ...

Thanks, Edgar, for the info!

The Scalloped SB looks a lot like the Globusman which is German

I was going to disagree with you until I saw the reflection of the head in the blade bank. The head does look a lot like my mystery razor, but not the handle.
Do you know if the Globusmann is a SR-style 3 piece (i.e., with an inner barrel)? Google images has very little info on this particular razor.

Wurst und bier, or croissants et (what do the French drink anyway?) du vin, je pense. :001_rolle

:001_unsur

At this point, I think more indicators are pointing to wurst und bier, although I prefer a nice glass of (left bank) Bordeaux. Hold the escargot.

Speaking of "worst," it isn't a great shaver. I think a few shims might make it OK.

Thanks, Alex. The resemblance to the Leresche and the Kirby razors is one reason I thought it might be French. That, and the all brass construction.
Now I'm not so sure ...

Top Bottom