What's new

Hello From Loganville GA. Back to DE shaving after many years.

I learned how to shave on a DE razor back in the 1970's. I think it was a short handled Gillette razor with a black plastic handle, not sure what it was called. The blades I was using were Schick Plus Platinum. Did not give a bad shave but I do recall lots of irritation. Used this setup through the early 1980's through my time in the USAF. After I got out of the service I drifted to disposables, then the Gillette Sensor. The Sensor gave a pretty good shave but cartridges would not last very long and they were expensive. Over the years I drifted back to cheap disposables. Did not see many DE blades or razors in stores any more, I figured they were being fazed out, something from a by gone era. Quite frankly my shaving experience stunk. I would go 2 and 3 days without shaving because it was not enjoyable. I started to look pretty grubby.

Any way long story short I stumbled a link somewhere about DE shaving about a month ago and how you could get blades online. That really caught my attention. Could this be the answer to my years of lousy or expensive shaves? I went through some old stuff of mine and found a 1964 vintage Gillette 3 piece Travel Tech someone had given to me years ago and just threw in a drawer, a conversation piece I showed my son once or twice. Went online and got a sample pack of blades . They arrived in 2 days. Popped a Astra Superior Platinum into the Travel Tech used 4 drops of Shave Secret oil (stopped using shaving cream about 2 years ago figured the shave oil was cheaper and I was getting lousy shaves with the cream or the oil), soaked my face with hot water and......took a small stroke down the side of my face, nothing. I felt nothing. I thought lousy blade, then I looked closer, smooth! Nothing by bare skin and smooth! I almost fell over. 2 passes over my face and fantastic! Had not had a nicer shave in decades, splashed on some Aqua Velva and I felt like a new man, I was so happy. So far I have tried the Astra, Persona Med Prep and now using Voskhod Teflon Coated. So far the Voskhod are the best ones what a shave those blades give no irritation and a wonderful shave.

Anyway that is my experience so far, 3 weeks in. I look forward to my morning shave again!

Welcome. Thanks for sharing your story. Voskhods are one of my favorites. Try a Polsilver SI (Super Iridium). For me they give super-close shaves with next to zero irritation. They are without a doubt my newest go to blade. I also like the Astra SPs.

Hello and welcome, Mike. Great to have you here. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

just dang, back in August last year, almost same thing happened to me!
Welcome!

<off in Conyers, somewhere...

I learned how to shave on a DE razor back in the 1970's. I think it was a short handled Gillette razor with a black plastic handle, not sure what it was called. The blades I was using were Schick Plus Platinum. Did not give a bad shave but I do recall lots of irritation. Used this setup through the early 1980's through my time in the USAF. After I got out of the service I drifted to disposables, then the Gillette Sensor. The Sensor gave a pretty good shave but cartridges would not last very long and they were expensive. Over the years I drifted back to cheap disposables. Did not see many DE blades or razors in stores any more, I figured they were being fazed out, something from a by gone era. Quite frankly my shaving experience stunk. I would go 2 and 3 days without shaving because it was not enjoyable. I started to look pretty grubby.

Any way long story short I stumbled a link somewhere about DE shaving about a month ago and how you could get blades online. That really caught my attention. Could this be the answer to my years of lousy or expensive shaves? I went through some old stuff of mine and found a 1964 vintage Gillette 3 piece Travel Tech someone had given to me years ago and just threw in a drawer, a conversation piece I showed my son once or twice. Went online and got a sample pack of blades . They arrived in 2 days. Popped a Astra Superior Platinum into the Travel Tech used 4 drops of Shave Secret oil (stopped using shaving cream about 2 years ago figured the shave oil was cheaper and I was getting lousy shaves with the cream or the oil), soaked my face with hot water and......took a small stroke down the side of my face, nothing. I felt nothing. I thought lousy blade, then I looked closer, smooth! Nothing by bare skin and smooth! I almost fell over. 2 passes over my face and fantastic! Had not had a nicer shave in decades, splashed on some Aqua Velva and I felt like a new man, I was so happy. So far I have tried the Astra, Persona Med Prep and now using Voskhod Teflon Coated. So far the Voskhod are the best ones what a shave those blades give no irritation and a wonderful shave.

Anyway that is my experience so far, 3 weeks in. I look forward to my morning shave again!
Did razor look like this

$1970 (P4) Super-Speed beschriftet Logo.jpg

And blade like this?

View attachment 566178

First I would like to thank everyone for welcoming me to B&B. Flrubi, will have to give Polsilver blades a try. BSAGuy will add some info to the Hall of Fame. Alex2363 that looks like the razor I used almost 40 years ago and those are those are the blades, brings back memories.
This week shaving with a Feather. Are those blades sharp or what? Real nice shave but little more irritation than the Vokshod from last week. Still have the Persona Lab, Derby and Gillette Silver Blue to try. Glad to be back DE shaving again. What I noticed is that if I shave in the morning on one day I get a more comfortable shave with less irritation if I wait until the evening the next day. So seems like I am shaving about one every 32 hours. Any tips of what I can do to get the same comfortable shave after only 24 hours?

Top Bottom