What's new

Manual vs Automatic

I have a theory that a lot of people at B&B have or have an interest in driving vehicles with a manual transmission.

Manual vs automatic transmissions seem analogous to DE/straight vs cart or electric shaving.

Just an idea.

If this has been discussed before, I apologize. I was having trouble finding a similar thread.

There's a long thread on manual versus auto transmissions somewhere in the archives. Two years ago, I guess, or a bit less.

Edit: a quick Google search finds at least five threads, so it definitely is a topic that interests B&Bers.

Last edited:
My 2008 Kia Rio is 5 speed manual, roll up windows, no power door locks, all by choice, I was thrilled these options were available, my daughter, 8 at the time was amazed at a crank window, thought it was so cool as all she had ever seen were power windows, opposite of how I grew up!

Automatic for me. I have had straight drives before in my youth. I am just too old and lazy to be using a manual these days.

I learned to drive on a manual and currently own a manual. I did drive an automatic for a few years in there. I like the fact that I have to think a little bit more about driving while driving. It seems safer to me as you have to pay a little more attention to what you are doing. I feel too relaxed while driving an automatic.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you have a manual, you're driving the car. If you have an automatic, you're really just a passenger sitting in the driver's seat.

2010 nissan altima coupe 2.5s 6 speed manual here. Since I started driving I have had only one automatic and as noted above it was a truck so apparently its justified. I agree much more control over the vehicle if its a manual.

I wouldn't mind driving a car with a manual transmission, except I read somewhere that a driver new to driving a stick will burn the clutch out in about 30K miles. And a clutch replacement is a little more complicated than changing the oil

I don't much care. I'll drive whatever. I drove semi's for a lot of years. There is no magical fun in shifting for me. In terms of my pickup? Automatic transmissions are a much better animal than they were twenty years ago, so there really isn't any reason to want one... I don't know if you can even find one anymore, shy of a one ton. There are certain cars though, that the good lord intended to have a stick, and that's the way they should be.

I had a Nissan Maxima SE and an Altima that had manual transmissions with V6 engines. I got about 175,000 miles out of the Nissans and only replaced the clutch once on each one. I now have a VW CC that has a Triptronic transmission. I generally stays in automatic mode, but you can move the lever to the right and it functions as a manual. It has every bit as much punch as the other automatics I've had, and it's a 4-cylinder.
An automatic transmission in 2015 is not the same as an automatic transmission twenty years ago.

$stick shift.jpg

Manual transmissions are fun for the kids, but in City driving it is just a pain in the butt. Automatic for me for good. I love my CVT.

Top Bottom