What's new

My oh my- what happened here?

$40 in a 45 1.jpg

$40 in a 45 2.jpg

A number of things, or any combination could have caused this. An overworked case that has been resized one too many times. An overload of powder. The wrong primer / powder load combo. A bullet too heavy for the load. An in proper bullet crimp. A bullet seated too deeply. The list goes on, and that's just assuming its a reload and the fault is with the ammunition. The weapon itself could be the culprit as well.

heh, I'd go with that last... appears to be overload expansion into a cylinder that is oversize for the round. The obviously unsupported pressure transient caused failure along the weakest elements in the shell. that must have looked like something coming out the barrel...

heh, I'd go with that last... appears to be overload expansion into a cylinder that is oversize for the round. The obviously unsupported pressure transient caused failure along the weakest elements in the shell. that must have looked like something coming out the barrel...

Actually it was quite unremarkable- it failed to eject but a hard yank on the shooters slide pulled it out of the chamber.

The youtube channel demolition ranch did a video of putting the wrong caliber in a hand gun to see what will happen. Not as dramatic as you would think.

Last edited by a moderator:
A .40 loaded in a .45 chamber, how does this happen? Was it fed through the clip, or was a single round dropped in the chamber manually?

You do have to pay attention to such things.

At least they did not put it in backwards than try to drive it out with a nail through the barrel with the slide closed.

Definitely too small of a round.

A couple years ago a guy let me shoot his 1911 at steel plates 6 rounds. When he let the next guy try, the slide flew back but the 1911 did not cycle. You gussed by now, a 40 loaded in a 45. The guy even knocked down the plate!

It seemed more like a boneheaded than a scary (such as a double charge) at the time. I may be way off about that though. The gun seemed no worse for the wear. The scary part was the guy who owned and loaded the gun is a savvy hand loader, and very knowledgeable about guns, gun smithing, and safety.

i think I still have the case somewhere.

Top Bottom