What's new

damascus straight razor off etsy?

I am looking for a straight razor and love Damascus steel. Looking on etsy.com they start around 70 and go up to around 500 or So depending on who makes them. I know these are small companies making the razors, but you have to start somewhere. My question are any of these worth it?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/185467803/the-classic-shave-ready-damascus?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=damascus+straight+razor&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

https://www.etsy.com/listing/229142820/100-handmade-forged-full-damascus-steel?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_query=damascus+straight+razor&ga_ref=auto1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Last edited:
Been following Jacob on instagram, so his blade should be legit. I personally think that he still had a good ways to go to get proportions right, especially his scales, but take that with a grain of salt. Don't know if he puts a decent edge on or not. The other seller I've never heard of before, though I suppose I would still be considered quite new with straights

Last edited:
Personally I would avoid, I find it hard to believe someone who is capable of producing a good damascus would make such scales for it.

HRC of 64 - that's interesting. Wonder what his steel and HT&T is exactly.

Geometry might not be on point, can't tell from pix but I'ma gonna guess that it's not 'there'.

Lastly - this comment raises my eyebrow.

It doesn't take a mastersmith to sharpen a knife to shave.

Personally - If I wanted a damascus blade, I'd contact Brian Brown.

Can anyone comment on the edge of Damascus steel? It seems that the mixed hardness of steel, (differing carbon content) would result in a serated edge unless the bands ran parrellel to the edge.

Can anyone comment on the edge of Damascus steel? It seems that the mixed hardness of steel, (differing carbon content) would result in a serated edge unless the bands ran parrellel to the edge.

I would think that as long as the stone is lapped properly, it would be ok. In a soft area between two hard areas, the soft would be almost "supported" by the adjacent hard areas, preventing more material from being removed. I do, however, suspect that an aggressive slurry could cause the problem you described.

I have several Damascus (pattern welded) pocket knives, the edges show no seams after sharpening to a high level, nor after heavy use but sometimes the easier to etch steel is also much more prone to rust.

Top Bottom