What's new

GSB is a keeper.

Ever since I tried feather, I was hooked on it and I didn't think any other blade would come close to it, but seems like GSB is pretty close to it. I couldn't really tell much difference from the feather's sharpness.

When I tried polsilver, I felt that it wasn't as sharp as feather, but when I tried GSB today, it was sharp, effortless, almost identical to feather.

I will give it a few more tries and see if I will commit to buying bulk amount of them.

No wonder a lot of people talk about GSB!

Going by what people say, they seem very near identical to a Nacet, in which case, would be a very find blade indeed. Always nice when you finally stumble upon that one great thing!
:thumbup1:

Once we're dealing with top blades we're always splitting hairs (ha ha) and individual preference counts more heavily, especially for those from the same factory in Peter. I think of GSB and Nacet as close to each other with GSB being my all around favorite. For me the Feathers might be a tad sharper but also feel rougher -- a bit like the 7 O'Clock Blacks. The GSB is still my top modern blade in terms of a balance of smoothness and sharpness. The other top modern blade from Peter is the discontinued 7 O'Clock Blue which seems to be comparable to the GSB although -- to my way of thinking -- closer to the Blacks and the Feathers. But frankly if I had to only shave with one modern blade for life, it would be GSBs or Blues.

Good to hear that nacets are pretty comparable as well. I just received my order of 100 nacet about a week ago and waiting to try them soon.

I found nacet to be cheaper on ebay, followed by gsb, then feather.

If qualities are pretty on par with feather, might as well go with cheaper blades.

Also waiting to try gillette rubie? As well.

I find myself buying 100 of every blade brand i come across that receives a lot of praises. I may need to stop doing this.
:)

Med prep is waiting to be tried as well.

To be tried list,
black 7oclock
yellow 7 oclock
med prep
kai
nacet
gillette rubie
voskhod
lux platinum

already excited just talking about it :)

Ive tried half of the ones on this list - you have a great set of blades to try. Although GSB is not the sharpest blade, something feels right when I use it. Its smooth and in the upper tier of sharpness. Med prep feels sharper for sure, not quite as smooth. I like to switch it up. I have only bought GSB and Med Prep in bulk.

after great first shave, maybe I got too comfortable with it, so I did manage a new weepers on my neck, and one cut on my upper lip from not being careful.

Today, I had my third shave on the same blade, it still gave me a great shave, tried all kinds of techniques that I want to master (j-hooking, and some modified gillette slide?). Got a close shave, but required a little more effort than the first two shaves.

Maybe the blade is dulling already, or my prep wasn't good enough.
I still really like the blade, but it is not quite feather sharp.

I will have my fourth shave tomorrow and probably toss it and move onto nacet!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's one of my top blades, for sure. I've only found one (maybe two) blades that are as smooth and efficient.

I remember my first shave with a GSB. "Wow. That was easy."

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just got a 50 pack of GSB. I have a few other things on deck, but i cant wait to give them a nice trial run for a few weeks. I have been a dedicated Astra SP user up to now. They are smooth and offer me a close enough shave. However, I think I am ready for something a bit higher on the sharpness meter. So I got a bunch of Red Israeli's and GSB's to try next. I am going to switch to the Red IP's for a few weeks first, then graduate to the GSB's.

I just got a 50 pack of GSB. I have a few other things on deck, but i cant wait to give them a nice trial run for a few weeks. I have been a dedicated Astra SP user up to now. They are smooth and offer me a close enough shave. However, I think I am ready for something a bit higher on the sharpness meter. So I got a bunch of Red Israeli's and GSB's to try next. I am going to switch to the Red IP's for a few weeks first, then graduate to the GSB's.

I might be the oddball to not like astras, or maybe my skin was just not in its best shaoe when i tried astras.

For me gsb felt a lot smoother than astra, a lot less effort to cut the stubbles, especially atg, but not quite feather level, though. Feather just raised my bar up too high.

Red ip, i found the result a bit odd because just like astra, there were manymany who swore by it, but for me, it felt sort of dull and felt like derby blades, even though the end result wadnt bad. With derbys, i couldnt get dfs nor bbs shave even with lots of effort. Just didnt cut well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I must say that while I can grow a really thick and full beard relatively easily, my stubbles are very light and easy to mow down. Some of my friends grow more facial hair by 4 PM the day of a shave than I can grow in 2 or 3 days. So the Astra blades work fine for me. However, as my technique improves, I can tell that a sharper blade may give me a closer shave, especially in spots where the Astra takes a little effort to get a BBS. So I am going to give it a try. A 50 Pack of GSB or Red IP's are quite reasonably priced, so there is really no risk involved in my experiment. If I dont like them, I can give them away to my buddies with nasty thick stubble. :)

Top Bottom