What's new

Another Password Manager Question

Still looking at password managers, and came up with yet another question. I have a number of sites that I use for which I have established passwords. I have had occasion to change some passwords; and that has involved going to the respective site, logging in, hunting for the instructions on changing the password, then pressing the appropriate buttons/keys to get the job done. When one gets a password manager, how is logging into the site and establishing the password accomplished the first time, and what is the typical process to change the password using the password manager?

I am still looking at both Dashlane and LastPass. Imagine the process is similar, but don't know for sure.

Thanks!!

Just thought of yet another general question! I try to have different passwords for each site, but can one use just one user name? Afraid if I start inventing a different user name for each site that I will get lost!

I've used LastPass for years now and love it.

When one gets a password manager, how is logging into the site and establishing the password accomplished the first time...

I can't speak for any other password managers, only LastPass. When you log into a site for the site time and enter your user name and password, LastPass will ask if you want it to remember your user name and password. You can choose to save site, never, or not now.

what is the typical process to change the password using the password manager?

You log in using a new password and LastPass detects a password change based on a common URL. It then asks you if you want to confirm the password change or save it as a new user name and password.

Just thought of yet another general question! I try to have different passwords for each site, but can one use just one user name? Afraid if I start inventing a different user name for each site that I will get lost!

You can have as many unique user names as you wish. LastPass will remember credentials, user name and password, for each unique site.

Why don't you just try one and see if you like it? LastPass on PC is free.

Last edited:
I've used Dashlane and Last Pass both and they are good. I guess it depends on your preference and how you like the interface and all the various features. I tried a good many and Keeper is the one I settled on. There's a lot I like about it but mostly because I can use it on my Android phone and PC and synch everything. It also keeps all my info encrypted and uploaded to a cloud. So If I lose my phone when I get another I don't have to start from scratch, I just download all my info from the cloud to my new phone. It also has a feature where it will fill in the logins for your apps on your phone. I would suggest you at least try it out before settling on one of the others. It not only keeps your passwords and logins but credit card info and a lot of other stuff. https://keepersecurity.com/
Check it out.

$Post It Note Board.jpeg

LastPass has a "change my password" feature available for many popular websites - it'll log on for you, run the password change, save it all and then close, all automatically. And when you manually change a password on most sites, LastPass sees you do it and offers to update the new password into it's vault for you.

Also, if you have a password manager shouldn't have to worry about remembering user names. The system will populate all the data automatically.

Recently I started to use a structured, repeatable password. You decide a structure. 12 spaces let's say. Four Numbers, the initial of the site, the initial of your preferred razor. Example of password for a New user at Badger&Blade: 4141BadgMerk. Of course you structure as you like. If you join ad a New user Google your password should be 4141GoogMerk.

Also, if you have a password manager shouldn't have to worry about remembering user names. The system will populate all the data automatically.

Yep, and best practice would be to use different usernames for everything. This makes things that much more difficult for the bad guys. Password managers make this kind of approach doable, and easy.

Top Bottom